Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Thiago Rahal Disposti <th...@kryptus.com> on 2019/08/06 16:29:29 UTC

Profiler not writing to hbase at the end of the period

Our metron profiler seems to be writing to the hbase profiler table in
random times and values that doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyone already had a similar issue?

We already tried different time periods(5, 10 , 15)  without any luck.

profiler.propertiers:

*##### Profiler #####*

*profiler.input.topic=indexing*

*profiler.output.topic=enrichments*

*profiler.period.duration=5*

*profiler.period.duration.units=MINUTES*

*profiler.window.duration=30*

*profiler.window.duration.units=SECONDS*

*profiler.ttl=30*

*profiler.ttl.units=MINUTES*

*profiler.window.lag=1*

*profiler.window.lag.units=MINUTES*

*profiler.max.routes.per.bolt=100000*

*##### HBase #####*

*profiler.hbase.salt.divisor=1000*

*profiler.hbase.table=profiler*

*profiler.hbase.column.family=P*

*profiler.hbase.batch=10*

*profiler.hbase.flush.interval.seconds=30*

*##### Kafka #####*

*kafka.zk=blackbird2.kryptus:2181,blackbird3.kryptus:2181,blackbird1.kryptus:2181*

*kafka.broker=blackbird2.kryptus:6667,blackbird1.kryptus:6667*

*kafka.start=UNCOMMITTED_EARLIEST*

*kafka.security.protocol=PLAINTEXT*

Config:
[image: image.png]

Parser config:
[image: image.png]

Output on Stellar:
[image: image.png]

Thanks,
Thiago Rahal

Re: Profiler not writing to hbase at the end of the period

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
> Here i can see that the two values were written at hbase at 4:03:47 and
4:13:34 PM.
> Both values were written before the current profiler period ends,
probably because of my hbase batch size and/or time interval configuration.

I would not expect this to be the case.  The value cannot be calculated
prior to the end of the period, no matter what your batch size is.

Could the clock in HBase be skewed or some other cause?  I would confirm
the timing of those writes using the Profiler logs.  In the Storm UI,
enable debug or trace logging for the package org.apache.metron.profiler.
The Storm worker logs will then contain a lot of detailed information about
each message that is received and when each profile period is flushed.  Do
the logs show the flush occurring prior to the end of the period?

> If i guarantee that the batch size it’s not reachable inside one profiler
period and use a time interval bigger than the time period, the values will
be written to hbase only in the end of the profile period?

The value cannot be calculated prior to the end of the period.  The
calculated value may write some time after the end of the period, depending
on your batch size and flush frequencies for HBase, but the same calculated
value will eventually be written.

> Other times i found myself in this situation after increasing the batch
size and time interval the profiler stopped writing values at hbase

When just testing at small scale, then set the batch size to 1 until you've
worked through these issues.

Posted by Thiago Rahal Disposti <th...@kryptus.com>.
Tests with PROFILE_VERBOSE:

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.