Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/16 16:30:07 UTC

Too many open files error -- using tomcat 6.0.14 on RHEL 4

We're seeing an error that we didn't see yesterday, but when we
modified -Xmx settings for Tomcat, we no cannot get past the issue
"Too many open files") and the sites on the server are not serving --
except this error.

We've changed the settings back, but any restart causes the same issues.

How do we fix this????

thanks,
Kim :-)

Re: Too many open files error -- using tomcat 6.0.14 on RHEL 4

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Since you are on a Linux system, use a little utility called "lsof"
This one will list all the file descriptor associated with your process.
When you get the output, it will point you to where you are using up all
your file descriptors.

Also, check your "ulimit -n" setting for the user running the java process

Filip