Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> on 2012/04/09 15:12:07 UTC

Backwards compatibility

I was just trying to upgrade the first of my servers to 1.2, and it
wasn't that pretty. As I understand it, compatibility with pre-0.10.0
databases has been dropped. However, this isn't mentioned in the
release notes, nor in the Breaking changes. Thus, I had to downgrade
to 1.1.1, compact a database and install 1.2.0 again. This is just a
PITA, and it seems fairly trivial that something like this should be
in the release notes and in the breaking changes.

Apart from that, it's also just a pain to find out if I have any
databases in an old version. The only simple way that I can see is
looking at the /db page (either in a browser or scripted), for each
database. It would be helpful if there was perhaps something like a
Futon page listing my databases along with their on-disk version
numbers and perhaps other relevant sysadmin information (like on-disk
size and the new percentage that's used to trigger auto-compaction).

As it is, I wasn't aware of the relevance of the on-disk format
version, so some databases that just don't need compaction (either
because they don't change that often, or because there's not that many
documents in there) didn't get compacted. I think I'm perhaps slightly
more attuned to the internals of CouchDB (at least I read the
developer mailing list) than the average user, so this might be even
worse for other users.

Also, perhaps the auto-compaction can be upgraded to (optionally) also
compact if the on-disk version if older than current-1, so people
don't have to pay as much attention to this. Presumably there's
already some scheduling going on to prevent auto-compaction from
hitting every database at the same time.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

P.S. I'm slightly annoyed, and it probably shows; I hope that doesn't
diminish the value of this feedback.

Re: Backwards compatibility

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.
CouchDB without _users is much like a Unix server without NIS or LDAP.
Normal user accounts are inaccessible but administrator (root) users
can log in since their authentication is independent of the more fancy
system.

--
Iris Couch

Re: Backwards compatibility

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
I've updated the wiki page to reflect this. Sorry for not including
this in Breaking Changes at release time.

B.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 08:54, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry, not sure what you mean here.
>> the ml isn't really the right way to report an issue. opening a ticket
>> is definitely better. It helps to tracks achievements.
>
> You mean like badges??!?!?

achievement: the act of achieving : accomplishment

but this idea of badges is interesting ;)

- benoît

Re: Backwards compatibility

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.