Posted to user@predictionio.apache.org by Vaghawan Ojha <va...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/24 08:10:15 UTC

Knowing the probability of purchase

Hi,

I was following a research paper regarding the probability of a user buying
a particular item recommended by the recommendation system. It's here, if
you want to checkout as well
http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/as/members/iwata/doctor.pdf

I was wondering if there is a way or anybody has done with the current
templates of PIO, the calculation of the probability of a user buying an
item.

I think this should be possible with current templates as well, I am just
wondering, if anybody could provide me a brief way to do that, or any
documentation of the algorithms that could be used.

Thanks

Re: Knowing the probability of purchase

Posted by Vaghawan Ojha <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,

Yes, you're correct, it's quite vain to try to weigh the recommendation
with the probability. And also probability is quite plain in terms of
complex colloborative filtering. It's no good to use probability matrics
but in my case I  was also experimenting the offline sales data, which
doesn't need the same sorts of result as we may need for E-commerce.

Anyways, I used spark sql to do some analytics and calculate some plain
probability in terms of physcial stores and sales. You have been very
helpful to me. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Thanks

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
[...]

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Pat Ferrel <pat@occamsmachete.com <ma...@occamsmachete.com>> wrote:
I read this dissertation and came away wondering why it was important. The job of a recommender is not to predict what you *will* buy but rather what you would like to buy if you knew about it—in other words it determines your taste or preferences and finds item that match. This tends to increase conversions (sales for E-Commerce). A predictor may only predict the inevitable and lead to 0 lift in conversions.

On Apr 24, 2017, at 1:10 AM, Vaghawan Ojha <vaghawan781@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I was following a research paper regarding the probability of a user buying a particular item recommended by the recommendation system. It's here, if you want to checkout as well http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/as/members/iwata/doctor.pdf <http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/as/members/iwata/doctor.pdf>

Posted by Vaghawan Ojha <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,