Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Severin Gehwolf <Se...@uibk.ac.at> on 2007/12/20 12:59:17 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] how to re-read the configuration without restarting apache

> I need to add these 2 lines to my conf file:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(OpenObject.*) http://server2:9000/$1

Melanie, you should alter the latter line (above) to

RewriteRule ^/(OpenObject.*) http://server2:9000/$1 [R=301,L]

This way, browsers are able to cache the request (R=301) and will
contact server2 immediately without bothering server1 again. The "L"
option makes makes apache to not process any further rewrites appearing
later in your configuration. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html

> the http service is critical and cannot kill sessions.
> Is there a way to reload the configuration without
> restarting apache?

<path-to-apachectl>/apachectl configtest (tests your config)
<path-to-apachectl>/apachectl graceful (gracefully restarts apache)

should do what you intended. Though, I am not sure if your sessions will
persist, depending on the session-mechanism. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/stopping.html

---
severin

Re: [users@httpd] how to re-read the configuration without restarting apache