Posted to dev@hop.apache.org by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/22 18:38:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] 1.2.0 development cut-off

Hello Hoppers,

The development on version 1.2.0 started on the 15th of January and we have
made some great progress, I would like to thank everyone that has been
creating tickets and solving them.
Currently we are at 65 tickets solved, including mostly bug fixes and some
nice new features.
For those interested, a full list on what has happened on 1.2.0 can be
found in Jira [1]

I think we have come to a point where we can start thinking about the next
release, I would like to suggest the end of the month (28th February) as
the final day where we will be merging pull requests and start working on
the vote then.

As it is really hard to maintain two separate branches and the EOL of java
8 has come into sight (no worries it will still receive security fixes) I
would like to suggest going for Hop 2.0 after this release. Hop 2.0 will be
our first full java 11 release and include some breaking API changes.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
Hans

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12324323&version=12351230

Re: [DISCUSS] 1.2.0 development cut-off

Posted by Hans Van Akelyen <ha...@gmail.com>.
There will always be a next release...
As long as the application is not broken or there are critical bugs we just
have to move forward.
A release every 1-2 months is the pace we should be aiming for.

Cheers,
Hans

Posted by "Sergio Ramazzina (SERASOFT)" <se...@serasoft.it>.

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.

--
Neo4j Chief Solutions Architect
*✉   *matt.casters@neo4j.com

Re: [DISCUSS] 1.2.0 development cut-off

Posted by Matt Casters <ma...@neo4j.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Cesar Garcia <ce...@ceos.com.ve>.
Very grateful for the information

I will be very attentive to the case,

Kind regards,

El mié, 23 feb 2022 a las 10:30, Sergio Ramazzina (SERASOFT) (<
sergio.ramazzina@serasoft.it>) escribió:

> Hi Cesar,
>
> I agree with you that this is a critical issue because we have the same
> requirement as you in terms of availability for a project that is
> already in production.
>
> We got into some troubles (and we currently are because the issue is not
> solved) with things related to transactions and database connections and
> statements and we fixed some issues. By using a java profiler we found
> two cases where the system was clearly producing memory leaks and these
> was properly fixed.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-3700
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-3724
>
> Even with these fixes the memory is  continuously raising up therefore
> now we are currently investigating each transform that has to do with
> databases that is used in our pipelines. We already solved some issues
> that are related to statements not closed
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-3760
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-3786
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HOP-3785
>
> A last one has to do with PipelineExecutor and the way it is managing
> pipeline execution. For this, we've neither opened any JIRA (even if it
> has already been solved and is under stress test) nor pushed any PR yet.
>
> For the moment I don't have any other to say about this problem. Anyway,
> currently, the memory is continuously raising up so we are continuing
> our investigation, that we hope to finish very soon (to not manually
> restart everything every night!). I will keep you updated.
>
> Best
>
> Sergio
>
> Il 23/02/2022 14:41, Cesar Garcia ha scritto:
> > Hello Sergio,
> >
> > You may notice the memory consumption problem when integrating the Apache
> > PLC4X project.
> >
> > have you had any progress in this regard? How are you approaching the
> > problem to see if I can support you in this regard?
> >
> > It is important to solve this since we are talking about 24/7@365
> > applications.
> >
> > Thank you for any comment,
> >
> > Kind regards.
> >
> > El mar, 22 feb 2022 a las 18:42, Sergio Ramazzina (SERASOFT) (<
> > sergio.ramazzina@serasoft.it>) escribió:
> >
> >> Hi Hans,
> >>
> >> as you know we are hardly working to fix the memory leak issues we are
> >> getting from our long running processes running in production. We think
> >> we are going very well. During th enext few ours I will open a few JIRA
> >> issues to push some other PR to fix the lates bugs we found lastly.
> >>
> >> I ask you if we can postpone the cutoff date to mid of March (March 15th
> >> is fine I think) to be able to catch and close the latest things. The
> >> battle is not win yet but I think anyone will benefit from this hard
> [...]

*CEOS Automatización, C.A.*
*GALPON SERVICIO INDUSTRIALES Y NAVALES FA, C.A.,*
*PISO 1, OFICINA 2, AV. RAUL LEONI, SECTOR GUAMACHITO,*

*FRENTE A LA ASOCIACION DE GANADEROS,BARCELONA,EDO. ANZOATEGUI*
*Ing. César García*

*Cel: +58 414-760.98.95*

*Hotline Técnica SIEMENS: 0800 1005080*

*Email: support.aan.automation@siemens.com
<su...@siemens.com>*

Re: [DISCUSS] 1.2.0 development cut-off

Posted by "Sergio Ramazzina (SERASOFT)" <se...@serasoft.it>.
Hi Cesar,

Posted by Cesar Garcia <ce...@ceos.com.ve>.
Hello Sergio,

Posted by "Sergio Ramazzina (SERASOFT)" <se...@serasoft.it>.
Hi Hans,

Posted by Gabriel Dutra <gv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Hans!

I agree with you, lets cut off and start working on the Java 11 release.

Best regards,
*Gabriel Dutra*
+1 (604) 910-9152

*Warning*: This message and the files attached contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to disclose, distribute or copy this information. Improper use of this
information will be treated according to the applicable legislation.