Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org> on 2018/04/20 14:19:49 UTC

Bad news regarding future Java use?

Hi all

I just updated Java 8 and got a notification saying

"You have successfully installed Java.
Important Information about Oracle Java SE Roadmap:
Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases of
Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as
January 2019. For additional guidance please follow the link below
More information on roadmap"

https://www.java.com/en/download/release_notice.jsp

If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not be used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...

I hope I misunderstood the message :(

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM, Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> > It sounds quite confusing. I think it refers to the point that java 8
> will drop out of support 2020.
> >
> > Damjan is already get our code Java 9 ready. So 4.2.0 will have Java 9
> support.
>
> According to this page
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> Java 9 is already dead for Public use (in fact earlier than Java 8!) and
> even Java 10 will be only last until September when Java 11 LTS is
> launched...
>
> So actually keeping Java 8 seems like a good option :)

Yes, Oracle is now making new major Java releases every 6 months:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2018/03/20/what-java-10-and-javas-new-6-month-release-cadence-mean-for-developers/

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 04/20/2018 07:06 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> People reading something, jumping to conclusions, and freaking out. Move along, nothing to see here...

Given the Appeals Court ruling of 2018-03-27, corporations have reason
to be extremely cautious about their use of JAVA.

Not just JAVA, but since Oracle has a history of suing its customers,
their customers will be the first to pay the danegeld that that ruling
inflicts upon all and sundry.

jonathon

Re: Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Posted by Stuart Swales <st...@croftnuisk.co.uk>.
On 21/04/2018 22:43, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> On 4/21/2018 10:00 AM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> As I pointed out that we move the core java functionality to be Java 9 compatible.
>> Also a 64 bit Windows migration is on the way.
>> Plus we move to MSVC 2015. Should therefore close the gaps you have in mind for 4.2.0.
>>
>> I don't think that java license for cooperation is an issue.

>>> Move
>>>>

>>> I don't think so. Maybe there is a good reason why another office suite
>>> moved all the scripting to Python.

>>> Linux ARM
>>>>

>>> Fact: Windows users (the vast majority of AOO users) already have or
>>> are more familiar with Oracle Java
>>>
>>> Fact: under the Windows OS the OpenJDK is 64bit only but AOO  is 32bit
>>> only
> Peter;
>
> Explain to me please how this doesn't effect any user that is using
> Windows XP, Windows 7, windows 8 and Windows 8.1 32 bit systems since
> there is no 32 bit Java 9 for Windows. Are we going to continue to do 32
> bit builds for Windows using Java 8?
>
> Regards
> Keith

Or even 32-bit Windows 10 systems. I have one, and I am sure many other
folk will too. We shouldn't be throwing away part of our user base who
maybe cannot afford to buy the latest shiny.

Regards, Stuart
--
Stuart Swales

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Keith,

I do not understand your message.
Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be unsupported at 2020 when Java 8 runs out of support.
Windows 8.1 can be supported if a cooperation has an extended contract. But in that case they even will pay for Java licenses, too.

So users running these system have a higher base risk.
I expect a user still uses those systems can still use the system unmaintained as is.

We will time until 2020 to decide on a plan how we will deal with the set up in general. I think we have to talk to the user group and check with them.
Depending on the feedback we can take action.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 6:36 AM Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> People reading something, jumping to conclusions, and freaking out. Move
> along, nothing to see here...
>

> I don't think so. Maybe there is a good reason why another office suite
> moved all the scripting to Python.

I don't want a broken language that fails miserably if I mistake a space
for a tab.

> Facts: there are OpenJDK builds for Windows, Linux, Mac and even Linux ARM
> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html
>

> Fact: Windows users (the vast majority of AOO users) already have or are
> more familiar with Oracle Java

Moot point. Repeat after me: Java is OpenJDK is Java. The implementation
and provider doesn't matter. Could be Zulu from Azul Systems. It's Java
compatible, built from the same sources and TCK certified.

https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu/

> Fact: under the Windows OS the OpenJDK is 64bit only but AOO  is 32bit only

Even 32bit Linux buids are getting harder to come by.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2016/07/05/linux_letting_go_32bit_builds_on_the_way_out/

Time to move to x64
FC

Re: Bad news regarding future Java use?

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 11:27 AM Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> If I understand the notice correctly this will not be a problem for
> personal use at home but all OpenOffice features requiring Java can not be
> used within a company unless the company buys a Java license...
>
> I hope I misunderstood the message :(
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

People reading something, jumping to conclusions, and freaking out. Move
along, nothing to see here...

Facts: there are OpenJDK builds for Windows, Linux, Mac and even Linux ARM
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Plus, this
https://twitter.com/OpenJDK/status/957987021271822337?s=20

FC