Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2003/02/04 18:26:00 UTC

[Codec] Configuration flags

Hi, I am importing a discussion to Commons Dev that has been going on in
HttpClient, XML-RPC, and off-list in private e-mails.

Tim O'Brien thus spake:

> My personal feelings here are that we should have some flags for RFC
> compliance - if you want to be warned on invalid characters/whitespace, set
> a flag.... If you want to throw an exception on an invalid exception, set a
> flag.... If you want a trailing newline for RFC compliance, set a flag.  By
> default, we'll maintain compliance, and it is up to the user to set some
> boolean properties to alter behavior.  We'll make it very clear in the
> documentation what the default behavior is.
>
> Feel free to open this discussion up to a mailing list.  I'm only keeping it
> private because the conversation was started in private.  We shouldn't make
> any decisions in a private discussion, but

I can't help but think this is a more general issue that has been seen
in many projects.  I have seen similar discussions on the HttpClient
list for things like setting HTTP 1.1 mode.

Perhaps Jakarta Commons should settle on one way to do configuration?
 In XML-RPC we have started using a setProperty() method with constants
for property names.  In Avalon, they have a first class Configuration
class, with setAttribute methods.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks