Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net> on 2015/06/18 12:05:41 UTC

Knox group policies not enforced

Hi fellow Ranger users,

As I am using Ranger plugin for Knox, I noticed that group policies are not
applied. For example, if I grant to the group "users" the right to connect
from anywhere, and I try to use WebHDFS with a user of this group, I keep
getting 403 responses from Knox.

In addition, I can't find any audit logs from Knox in Ranger interface, but
I thinks this is linked to the error I get in gateway.out :
[EL Severe]: ejb: 2015-06-18
11:33:44.253--ServerSession(453422229)--Exception [EclipseLink-4003]
(Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.5.2.v20140319-9ad6abd):
org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Exception Description: Configuration error.  Class [com.mysql.jdbc.Driver]
not found.

This error is actually weird too because the JDBC driver is properly
installed, as I can see audit logs from HDFS repository.

Has anyone an idea of where these errors might come from ?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Loïc

Loïc CHANEL
Engineering student at TELECOM Nancy
Trainee at Worldline - Villeurbanne

Re: Knox group policies not enforced

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
Well, I am using Ambari, and it seems that the Agent did not copy the MySQL
connector to the ext/ directory :-/
I will check if this happen again, and keep the community in touch if so.

Thanks a lot for your answers !

Posted by Gautam Borad <gb...@gmail.com>.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
wrote:

> Hi Gautam,
>
> I did not have the connector jar in this directory, and the problem
> actually came from here : thanks a lot ! :-)
>
> Still, I'm a little surprised : Knox does not search for the connector in
> other directories ? Because as during the configuration we specify to the
> Ambari-server the location of mysql-java-connector, Knox should be able to
> pull this information, shouldn't it ?
>
> Thanks again,
>

> Loïc
>
> Loïc CHANEL
> Engineering student at TELECOM Nancy
> Trainee at Worldline - Villeurbanne

>> Hi Loïc
>>     Can you please check if the connector jar(*mysql-connector-java.jar*)
>> is present in the knox/ext/ dir?  The jar  should be present in the
>> classpath. Please check and let us know.
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Loïc Chanel <
>> loic.chanel@telecomnancy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Alok,
>>>
>>> I already turned logging on, but it seems I can't see any plugin logs. I
>>> tried to add the following properties :
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.ranger=DEBUG
>>> log4j.logger.org.apache.ranger.services.knox=DEBUG
>>>
>>> But all I can see in the logs are Knox gateway logs, and there is
>>> nothing wrong with them (the only think I see that is wrong come from
>>> gateway.out, and is the error I mentioned in my first e-Mail). How can I
>>> turn Ranger plugin logs on ? And where can I find these logs afterwards ?
>>>
>>> In addition, I turned on the property "Audit to HDFS", but as I can't
>>> find audit records in the cluster, I think the auditing problem is kind of
>>> a general one.
>>>
>>> As far as the policy manager is concerned, I can see audit records for
>>> HDFS repository, so I don't think the problem comes from there.
>>>
>>> Do you see a possible origin of the problem ?
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Loïc
>>>
>>> Loïc CHANEL
>>> Engineering student at TELECOM Nancy