Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2015/03/13 21:11:56 UTC

[VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

The issues identified in RC2 plus a few minor items have been fixed.  RC3 is
now available for testing and voting upon.  Again, basically the same email
with the voting deadline changed.

As Andy mentioned in his reply to the "release nearly ready" thread, all of
the (non-documentation) JIRA issues associated with 2.4 are now resolved.
Here is our first try at voting to release 2.4.

I created a release artifact based off of trunk.  I copied that branch to a
tag under the tags area of the repo that is named release-2.4-RC3:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/vcl/tags/release-2.4-RC3/

The artifact is an export from that tag with the addition of Dojo Toolkit
version 1.6.2 with a custom VCL profile and Spyc both bundled in the web code.
The artifact, MD5 and SHA1 sums, and my GPG signature of it are available from
my space on people.a.o:

http://people.apache.org/~jfthomps/apache-VCL-2.4-RC3/

The list of resolved JIRA issues associated with this release can be found
under 2.4 on the Change Log page in the staging area of the CMS:

http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/changelog.html

This is the first release to include an installation script.  Installation
instructions on using the script and doing things manually are on the
following page in the staging area of the CMS:

http://vcl.staging.apache.org/docs/VCL24InstallGuide.html

The INSTALLATION file in the release artifact only contains information on
using the script.

*NOTE* To use the installation script with RC3, you need to give it the
- --rc=1 option (which is not included in the output of --help).

I was able to successfully do test installs and upgrades, including image
deploying and capture.

The directory created by extracting the RC3 artifact is "apache-VCL-2.4-RC3"
(after extracting, you may want to rename it to "apache-VCL-2.4" if you want
to test the manual instruction from the online installation guide).  Licensing
information about perl and its required modules, php and its required modules,
and mysql are stated as "system requirements" according to the information
under "System Requirements" on http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.

After we finalize a release vote, the staging part of the CMS will be
published to update the production site.

Please vote by 5pm (EST) on Tuesday, March 17th to publish this release.
Everyone in the community is encouraged to vote if you have at least done some
testing.  However, only votes by members of the PMC are binding votes.

[ ] +1 yes, release VCL 2.4
[ ] 0 dunno
[ ] -1 no, don't release VCL 2.4 (provide reasons if this is your vote)

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
We have been running the code from trunk on our production system since
this morning.  I have made a few reservations and captured an image.  I
have not encountered any problems.
-Andy

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
I'm in favor of whatever would be least confusing to users. And that probably means waiting until a 2.4.1 release before announcing it on the a.o mailing list.

Also, on the downloads page, we make note of previous releases, but I don't see that we provide links to them. So, I don't think this would be any different (make note of a 2.4.0 release, but only link to a 2.4.1 release)

Aaron Coburn

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Thanks, Josh.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
That makes sense.  I have added a 2.4.1 version to Jira and created this
issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-836

The fix has been committed to trunk.

-Andy

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Based on the following votes, the Apache VCL community has voted to release
Apache VCL 2.4:

Josh Thompson (PMC member)
Dmitri Chebotarov (PMC member)
Alexander Patterson
Aaron Coburn (PMC member)
Andy Kurth (PMC chair)
Aaron Peeler (PMC member)

That's +5 from PMC members and another +1 from the community.  There were no 0
or -1 votes.  That gives a total of 6 to pass the vote.

I'll go ahead and create the release artifact and publish it to our
distribution location. I'll give it around 24 hours for all of the mirrors to

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
+1

Aaron Peeler

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
+1

Aaron Coburn

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

I'll go ahead and put my vote in early this time.

+1 yes, release VCL 2.4

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
+1
-Andy

Re: [VOTE] release 2.4 (RC3)

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
+1

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
VCL Sys Eng, Engineering & Architectural Support, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175 | Fax: (703) 993-3404