Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by go...@osmosis.gr on 2005/03/27 01:39:36 UTC

[FYI] planet cocoon

hi

googling around i have found

http://www.planetcocoon.com/
with the moto "Apache cocoon documentation .. reloaded"

after that i have make a search in users and dev list
without any post about this site

did someone know somenthing more about this?

-stavros

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 22:09 +0100, Mark Leicester wrote:
> Hi there Thorsten,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I realise I should probably disclose that
> PlanetCocoon is sponsored by two one-man personal service companies:
> www.rocket-media.net and www.efurbishment.com. It's not a commercial
> site.

Hmm, but for how long?

> On 28 Mar 2005, at 16:30, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > BTW doing a cocoon site with drupal. LOL
> > Eat your own dogfood. ;-)
>
> Indeed; that is one of my favourite phrases. You're talking to the guy
> who wrote the MIDI transformer for Cocoon, so choosing the best tool
> for the job may not be my strong point! ;)
>
> Seriously though, I've worked with Cocoon for several years and I think
> that Cocoon's qualities as a tool for building web applications speak
> for themselves. As yet I don't have my hands on a Cocoon powered
> solution that answers my needs for a Cocoon developer community site.
> I'm looking for something that offers:
> - blogs, forums, pages, polls
> - high search engine visibility
> - formatting of code snippets / recipes
> - site-wide search
> - collaborative books
> - newsfeed aggregation
> - taxonomy / folksonomy
> - XML feeds for all content
> - integration with del.icio.us
>
> Do you know of anything I may have overlooked?

Apache Lenya - http://lenya.apache.org

Apache Lenya is an Open-Source Content Management System written in Java
and based on open standards such as XML and XSLT. Lenya is built on top
of Apache Cocoon and other components from the Apache Software Stack.
Its XML-centric architecture allows for content delivery targeted to the
capabilities of various devices, and avoids data lock-in. Apache Lenya
is built around Off the Shelf components from the Apache Software
Foundation.

Apache Lenya comes with the features you can expect of a modern Content
Management System, such as Revision Control, Scheduling, a built-in
Search Engine, separate Staging Areas, and Workflow.

Because Apache Lenya is based on Cocoon, you can use Cocoon features
such as robust Caching, multi-channel output, it's many connectivity
options to quickly build customized solutions to meet your specific
needs that are not already covered by Apache Lenya today.

> > This can do harm to the cocoon community, have you thought about that?
>
> What sort of harm can you foresee? I agree that we should think through
> the potential impact of independent initiatives like PlanetCocoon on
> open source communities like Cocoon. Can you think of any examples of
> independent sites in other communities? What worked? What went wrong?

I did not had a concrete case in mind, but it can split the community
apart. I like things happening here on this list and then going into the
docu.

I just find it weird that you want to reload the documentation on an
extern project. Will you commit them back to the community?

Do not get me wrong, your site looks useful.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Mark Leicester <ma...@efurbishment.com>.
Hi there Thorsten,

Thanks for your comments. I realise I should probably disclose that
PlanetCocoon is sponsored by two one-man personal service companies:
www.rocket-media.net and www.efurbishment.com. It's not a commercial
site.

On 28 Mar 2005, at 16:30, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> BTW doing a cocoon site with drupal. LOL
> Eat your own dogfood. ;-)

Indeed; that is one of my favourite phrases. You're talking to the guy
who wrote the MIDI transformer for Cocoon, so choosing the best tool
for the job may not be my strong point! ;)

Seriously though, I've worked with Cocoon for several years and I think
that Cocoon's qualities as a tool for building web applications speak
for themselves. As yet I don't have my hands on a Cocoon powered
solution that answers my needs for a Cocoon developer community site.
I'm looking for something that offers:
- blogs, forums, pages, polls
- high search engine visibility
- formatting of code snippets / recipes
- site-wide search
- collaborative books
- newsfeed aggregation
- taxonomy / folksonomy
- XML feeds for all content
- integration with del.icio.us

Do you know of anything I may have overlooked?

> This can do harm to the cocoon community, have you thought about that?

What sort of harm can you foresee? I agree that we should think through
the potential impact of independent initiatives like PlanetCocoon on
open source communities like Cocoon. Can you think of any examples of
independent sites in other communities? What worked? What went wrong?

> (you mentioned that posts to planetcocoon are not going back to this
> list)

Personally, I read much more aggregated RDF than email these days.
PlanetCocoon offers XML feeds to everything: blogs, forums, comments,
etc. Having said that, any comments posted to PlanetCocoon could easily
be relayed back to the cocoon list: that functionality exists already.
I'm ambivalent about doing it.

Cheers!
Mark

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Hm, do not get me wrong (!!!), but I personally do not like such sites
because they distract the user (you mentioned that posts to planetcocoon
are not going back to this list). This can do harm to the cocoon

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 29 mars 05, à 10:37, Jorg Heymans a écrit :

> ...All i'm saying is that i'ld hate to see yet another source of
> outdated cocoon information appear on the web. It will take a lot of
> hard work to make sure the content doesn't become stale over time,
> constantly replicating stuff from the javadocs or the wiki....

Same here, I'm not enthusiastic about yet another source of
information, especially if it's copies or reformatting of stuff found
elsewhere. I don't have a problem about the "runs on PHP" stuff though,
tools are tools.

> ...PS i like the spreadcocoon concept !

I also like it much better than the planetcocoon thing, as it clearly
has a different focus than the other Cocoon information websites.

-Bertrand

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Mark Leicester wrote:
> Hi Jorg,
>
> The mailing list is simply the first feature I implemented. PlanetCocoon
> is a Drupal site (http://drupal.org). I'm a Drupal contributor and
> wanted to get my feet wet with a simple patch to their mailhandler
> module (the colourisation).
>
> The real "itch" is this. In due course I want to provide myself, my
> colleagues - and any other interested contributors - with a site that
> offers a wide range of means to communicate. People are different and I
> like the idea of offering blogs, forums, pages, code snippets, recipes,
> polls and collaborative books under one roof. I want to aggregate other
> Cocoon developer's blogs. I want taxonomy and folksonomy. I want
> integration with del.icio.us (and flickr!?). All of these things are
> already offered by Drupal (http://drupal.org).
>
> BTW I mentioned in the earlier post (see
> http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/1109 :p) that I want to introduce
> folksonomy to mailing list archives. My intention is to make mailing
> list material taggable. I think this will increase the value of archived
> mailing list content.

<snip/>

All i'm saying is that i'ld hate to see yet another source of outdated
cocoon information appear on the web. It will take a lot of hard work to
make sure the content doesn't become stale over time, constantly
replicating stuff from the javadocs or the wiki. Are you volunteering to
do this or are you hoping that registered users will start contributing?

Furthermore, i think you'll have a hard time getting people to support
the launching of a next gen cocoon documentation portal on a PHP
backend. Name me one webapplication framework that uses other technology
to show off it's own features? :)

Maybe you should take this over to dev@ and see how the "senior" chaps
feel about this.

Thanks,
Jorg

PS i like the spreadcocoon concept !

AW: Tomcat 5.0 installation

Posted by Claus Straube <cl...@xdoo.de>.
Hi Joe,

I'm running Cocoon on Tomcat 5.5 with SDK 1.5. It's the same as running
Cocoon on a Tomcat 4.x. There could be some problems compiling Cocoon with
Java 5 (I think I've read some posts about that problem in this
mailinglist), but you can compile Cocoon with SDK 1.4 (without problems) and
run it on Tomcat 5.5.

Best regards - Claus

http://www.spvgg-feldmoching.de

Claus Straube
Francéstrasse 31
80997 München
+49 (089) 14 16 682

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Mark Leicester <ma...@efurbishment.com>.
Hi Jorg,

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Mark Leicester wrote:

> I set up the site to scratch my own itch, and I certainly don't want to
> cross swords with other people's efforts. Having said that, I believe
> the site may have something to offer other Cocoon users in due course.
> Naturally, I welcome any feedback!

random (first) thoughts :

Which "ich" exactly was it that triggered you to do this? I mean I can't
(yet) see the value planetcocoon adds to the cocoon community, apart
from a more colorful mailinglist :-)

Are posts on planetcocoon relayed back to the mailinglist?

Don't get me wrong here - i welcome any attempt to make cocoon and it's
docs better and more accessible - but isn't this just another hollow
shell sitting on top of a mailinglist that is potentially confusing
users looking for the Real Cocoon Docs(tm)?

Maybe it would be better to remove the page title "Apache Cocoon
Documentation... reloaded" until the docs actually have been "reloaded".

Regards,
Jorg

Re: [FYI] planet cocoon

Posted by Mark Leicester <ma...@efurbishment.com>.
Hi there Stavros,

Perhaps I should come clean! PlanetCocoon is (or rather, may be) an
experiment in a Cocoon community site. It's based on Drupal
(http://drupal.org): a CMS of some flexibility and extensibility.
Drupal has plenty to offer any online community; I'd hoped to make more
of Drupal's features obvious before publicising the site.

So far I've set up:
- Mailing lists
- One book (the introduction to Flow)
- Aggregated news feeds (from a selection of notable Cocoon developers)

Some nice touches include colourised email conversations, e.g.:
http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/1079

There's some fairly nice code colouring, e.g.:
http://www.planetcocoon.com/node/5

Also, I'm in the process of adding folksonomy type tagging feature to
the email archives.

I've been quite surprised at how rapidly PlanetCocoon has gone up the
Google rankings. I suspect its node based architecture has had
something to do with that.