Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org> on 2021/03/16 13:20:58 UTC

Create a repo to build event exporter of Kubernetes

Hey the community, since we have already merged the Event concept and implementation,
I’m writing to propose to create a repo to host our event exporter of Kubernetes.

The main goal of the sub-project is to export and refine the events from Kubernetes into SkyWalking.

The repo name is skywalking-kubernetes-event-exporter , it will share the same GitHub Issue, Slack Channel, Mailing List with the main repo.

—————————
Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
GitHub @kezhenxu94

Re: Create a repo to build event exporter of Kubernetes

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Agree, we should apply for a docker repo about this.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org> 于2021年3月27日周六 上午10:59写道:

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi all, the repo has been created.

Because this is natively based on Kubernetes, we need a Docker repository to host the image, if you have any concern, please let us know as soon as possible, we’ll request the infra to create a Docker repo for this.

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 16:31, Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I see. The idea works for me.
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108
>

> kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org> 于2021年3月17日周三 下午4:16写道:
>

>>> On Mar 17, 2021, at 15:24, Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Zhenxu
>>>
>>> Does this exporter focus on k8s service concept?
>>> Or we are going to add some agent injection sidecar mechanism?
>>
>> No, this exporter only focuses on exporting Kubernetes events to
>> SkyWalking, with filter mechanism, users can config to only collect the
>> interesting services' events, and customize the service (instance) names
>> with Kubernetes objects like Pod, Service, Subset, etc., similar to [1],
>> users can even use static service names (if they specify the service name
>> in agent, they can use the same).
>>
>> Though the agent injection sounds promising, I didn’t plan to do it in the
>> v1, but we can discuss more after that.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/master/oap-server/server-bootstrap/src/main/resources/metadata-service-mapping.yaml
>>
>>> The background is, agent-based instrumentation is not using the k8s
>> service
>>> name and pod id as instance name.
>>>
>>> Sheng Wu 吴晟
>>> Twitter, wusheng1108
>>>

>>> kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org> 于2021年3月16日周二 下午9:21写道:

>> the

>> —————————
>> Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
>> GitHub @kezhenxu94

—————————

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
I see. The idea works for me.

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 15:24, Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Zhenxu
>
> Does this exporter focus on k8s service concept?
> Or we are going to add some agent injection sidecar mechanism?

No, this exporter only focuses on exporting Kubernetes events to SkyWalking, with filter mechanism, users can config to only collect the interesting services' events, and customize the service (instance) names with Kubernetes objects like Pod, Service, Subset, etc., similar to [1], users can even use static service names (if they specify the service name in agent, they can use the same).

Though the agent injection sounds promising, I didn’t plan to do it in the v1, but we can discuss more after that.

[1] https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/master/oap-server/server-bootstrap/src/main/resources/metadata-service-mapping.yaml

> The background is, agent-based instrumentation is not using the k8s service
> name and pod id as instance name.
>
> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108
>

> kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org> 于2021年3月16日周二 下午9:21写道:
>
>> Hey the community, since we have already merged the Event concept and
>> implementation,
>> I’m writing to propose to create a repo to host our event exporter of
>> Kubernetes.
>>
>> The main goal of the sub-project is to export and refine the events from
>> Kubernetes into SkyWalking.
>>
>> The repo name is skywalking-kubernetes-event-exporter , it will share the
>> same GitHub Issue, Slack Channel, Mailing List with the main repo.
>>
>> —————————
>> Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
>> GitHub @kezhenxu94

—————————