Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/24 23:16:18 UTC

RE: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

I think this is extremely important and I'm embarrassed that I missed it.

I'm also thinking that we need an ooo-user list pretty soon.

It should be here, so we can subscribe it or NNTP it and have it appear in the same context in which we observe and participate on ooo-DEV.  But it needs to be more comfortable for users and not putting dev-lingo in their face (until, perhaps, they finally nerve up and come over to the dark side).

 - Dennis

Watching the different lists at LibreOffice, I see a different liveliness with the user list (and the usual cacophony too).  It is basically where one learns about the difficulties and barriers that users are experiencing at the surface of the software and in their work.  Other users and devs can offer workarounds, but it is having the experience of users inside the radar of devs, such as on a companion list, that there can be a big contribution to all of us.

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dick,

Sorry.  My mistake.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl> wrote:
> However, you seemed to have missed the most important one  :-)
>
> 10.ooo-nl-users@incubator.apache.org  for 6.NL Nederlandstalige Gemeenschap
> (=Dutch language Community)
http://user.services.openoffice.org/
You are right!  We have forums supporting 10 languages!
:)
Thanks,
khirano

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Op 25-6-2011 6:37, Kazunari Hirano schreef:
> Hi Dennis and all,
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org>  wrote:
>> I agree about both.
> +1
>
> And they should be multilingual.
>
> With regard to forums, they are OK so far, I think.
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
> 1.EN OpenOffice.org Community Forum, 2.ES OpenOffice.org Foro de la
> comunidad, 3.FR Forum francophone OpenOffice.org, HU OpenOffice.org
> Közösségi fórum, 4.IT Forum della comunità OpenOffice.org, 5.JA
> OpenOffice.org コミュニティーフォーラム, 6.NL Nederlandstalige Gemeenschap, 7.PL
> Forum społeczności OpenOffice.org, 8.VI Diễn đàn viOOo, 9.ZH
> OpenOffice.org 中文社区论坛.
> Nine languages look good.  I hope these forums be migrated on to
> Apache infrastructure safe :)
>
> With regard to mailing lists, can we set up a user list if there is a
> request from a certain language user?
> If there are requests, can we set up, for example, nine user lists
> such as 1.ooo-en-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 2.ooo-es-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 3.ooo-fr-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 4.ooo-hu-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 5,ooo-it-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 6.ooo-ja-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 7.ooo-pl-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 8.ooo-vi-users@incubator.apache.org,
> 9.ooo-zh-users@incubator.apache.org?
> Make sure we set them up on request.
>
> Thanks,
> khirano

+1
Khirano-san,

thanks for this.

However, you seemed to have missed the most important one  :-)

10.ooo-nl-users@incubator.apache.org  for 6.NL Nederlandstalige Gemeenschap (=Dutch language Community)

Greetings all from rainy Holland

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
> > Do we know how many language-specific user lists we have at OOo today?
> >  Not forums, but user mailing lists.
>
> I don't know the total figures, but the Italian N-L project has 10, 5 of
> which active:
> - utenti (generic users list, about 500 subscribers)
> - discussioni (for discussions not related to user support)
> - qa (to coordinate QA activities)
> - localizzazione (to coordinate localization activities)
> - dev (user support for macros/extensions; not core development)
>
> Other major N-L projects (around 10-20) probably have a similar
> structure. The remaining N-L projects probably only have one user list.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

In ES we actually make a pretty controvertial push to move our ML to our own
servers. We got much heat from it, but in the end we enjoy a more autonomous
system. localizacion@oooes.org and soporte@oooes.org

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Preserving Legacy Content

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 29, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 6/28/2011 7:39 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Were you able to get a copy of the zone file?
>>
>> Is there an Oracle web admin contact that we should be going to for
>> request like this?
>>
>> It would be good to have a single contact point at Oracle, and a
>> single contact point for the project, for requests like this to flow
>> through.  Or at least a well-understood list of people.
>>
>> I'm thinking of security here.  I don't think we should expect Oracle
>> to hunt through the mailAlias.txt and committer and IPMC lists to see
>> if an email request is actually from the project.
>>
>> Andrew, does this make sense?  I think this is one of a list similar
>> admin requests that will be coming your way, from doing database
>> dumps, to setting up redirects, etc.  We need a way to get these
>> requests and their status documented.   JIRA or Bugzilla would be
>> idea, but we don't have that set up yet, since we'll need some Oracle
>> admin help moving the OOo bugzilla database over.  So a chicken and
>> egg problem.
> I am a good initial contact for stuff like this.  Availability will obviously be gated by licensing and security/privacy considerations.
> For stuff like the translations and the bugzilla content, I have backups and we can create current snapshots.
> For much of this we can move first and solve SGA second (similar to the source code).

Kay started this page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains

We've done some editing and I started going through looking at each "project". It might be good to pick one - like about.openoffice.org - and see what it would be like to export from Kenai and import to Confluence.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Re: Preserving Legacy Content (was: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS)

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 26, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> [...]

Please share what you can with the list when you can.

>> There is a mapping being built here:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-Sitemap
>>
>> and  a little differently here
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning
>
> Every little bit helps, but the zone file will give us an authoritative
> reference.

Yes, that's why I went looking for it.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Preserving Legacy Content (was: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
What I like most about mailing lists is the ability to tightly focus the
topics. What I like about forums is the large number of categorizations
possible. My main platform allows threading of headers in email, but it
fails when threads are forked or subject/title is changed.
I am strongly in favour of putting general and support lists on forum
mostly, and lower-volume action-based stuff mostly in mailing lists.
It has not been mentioned, or I missed the comment,  but I am not a fan of
irc as an interface.
Just my 2 cents. I guess forums with an autosubscribe feature for questions
a user has originated or replied to works great for most things.

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 26, 2011, at 8:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> We have three basic options for legacy content:
>
> 1) Migrate it to a dynamic equivalent, e.g. form to forum, list to
> list, wiki to wiki.  This might be using the same software or a
> different one, though obviously migration is more difficult cross
> apps, especially in the absence of standard formats.
>
> 2) Archive the content statically, e..g., wget the entire wiki, forum
> or list and store the static pages for reference.  Ideally, search
> engines and external links don't notice the change.
>
> 3) Ignore the legacy content and let it disappear.
>
> I think this is a case-by-case decision that we'll want to make, based
> at least partially on how how active the existing service is.  If it
> gets no writes, but many reads, then #2 might be appropriate.  If it
> is active with both reads and writes then that would recommend #1.

The content won't disappear, existing mailing lists are archived externally here gmane.org[1] and markmail.org[2]
(I would suggest nabble as well, but I always find it hard to access mailing lists from their home page.)

From MarkMail I see that Louis Saurez-Potts has sent 10,984 emails to the archived openoffice mailing lists.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://gmane.org/find.php?list=openoffice
[2] http://markmail.org/search/?q=openoffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2011.06.25. 17:23 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
> Of course, language differences and the need to encourage
> participation by all is critical as well.  We may all speak C++ very
> well, but not all speak English well.  But I wonder if things like
> Google translate are now good enough that we could manage,...
May be it is true for some "big" language - in case of Hungarian it is
create a more a crap, than usable translations at least in present state.
Zoltan

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks.
>
> I said, "Make sure we set them up on request."
>
> And Marcus said, "But only when it's requested. We can start with the
> normal one in English and see which other languages are requested
> again and again."

I have my questions regarding this method, just because I have seen them
before. Usually the admin has to lock himself on a rehabilitation center
after the initital 3 waves of request and angry people because they
requested and no action was followed.

The opposite effect is to just migrate them all 100% with users and
archieved, and then strip the ones that have never been active or are just
full of spam.

Sure I agree it fragment the discussion, the question is if the swahilli
discussion was meant to be in the general list on the first place or not?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 25, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> "Do they speak English in What?" -- Pulp fiction
>>>

>> I hope you don't get that impression.  Language is one cross-cutting
>> concern.  Another is operating system.  I could argue that Windows
>> programmers don't want to look at all the Linux-specific discussions
>> on the list.  And the 32-bit Windows programmings could say that they
>> don't want to deal with the 64-bit Windows threads.  But I think we
>> would agree that having a list called ooo-dev-windows-64bit-es would
>> be fragmenting things too far.
>>
>> The question in my mind is not whether we will need more lists, but
>> when and which ones.
>>
>> I think it is absolutely imperative that the programmers be aware of
>> the work going in on the code on *all* platforms, regardless of what
>> platform the programmer is working on personally.  It is one project,
>> one repository.  We can't segregate it.
>>
>> On the localization side, I also think it is necessary for all
>> programmers to be aware of all the issues, since they are the ones
>> writing and maintaining the code.  Maybe they won't be experts, but
>> they need to know the basics and be aware of the issues.  So an issue
>> in Japan localization may also be an issue in China and Korea.  We
>> need to have a core discussion on localization and translation that
>> everyone participates in.  Remember also that the issues that come up
>> for us, may be also issues in the ODF standard, and that needs to be
>> escalated, in English, to OASIS and ISO.  And new localization
>> capabilities get added to the standard, in English, and this needs to
>> be discussed in the project, together.
>>
>> I understand that when it comes to the translation of individual UI
>> strings, that the discussion then becomes very narrow and specialized
>> and that this will not be of interest to everyone.  But that is no
>> different than a discussion that is only relevant to 64bit Windows.
>>
>>> I don't think we should hold a gun to people's head to join a ML that
>> they
>>> might not be interested on the first place. Even if it's just to request
>>> new one.
>>>

>> Would you agree that we need at least a single list, like ooo-general,
>> that everyone on the project subscribes to?  I think that is hard to
>> avoid and still call us one project.
>>

> We did had that list http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html#general and
> even myself wasn't subscribed. So from experince I will say that just
> because we have it doesn't mean that all people in teh project will use it.
> Also the issue that we asume that everything will happen on an ML might not
> be true.
>
> As an example, if you find a bug, you can submit it to the issue tracker,
> then a dev will inquiry for additional data and replicate it, forward it to
> another dev and fix it. -- No ML necessary. If all the only truly unique
> conversation happening should be the comments on the DSCR. Which is a
> monolitic tree and isn't really replicated.

All commits to svn will end up in the ooo-commits mailing list. That qualifies as everything in the mailing list.

Also bug reports from either bugzilla or JIRA are typically directed to the dev list when that is done it ought to be ooo-dev@i.a.o.
So we are in the mailing list even with the bug tracker. In fact that is important because then it is easy for a developer to JFDI.

I like this discussion, in time we'll come up with a good balance between what exists and landing at Apache. I see this discussion falling into a matrix.

On one axis - Roles - at one or two levels
Marketing -
	?
Users -
	in general
	native language - special needs
Developers -
	code,
	qa,
	language,
	docs,
PPMC -

On the other axis - Tools
Mailing list
User Forum
Issue Tracker
Wikis
Web Site
Pootle Server
Build Servers
What else?

In each cell describe the interaction with the tool, if any.

There can be three versions of this matrix - The existing openoffice.org, a functional plan and finally a map to Apache Infrastructure

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>wrote:

> Op 25-6-2011 18:36, Rob Weir schreef:
>
>> I hope you don't get that impression. Language is one cross-cutting
>> [snip]
>>
>> I understand that when it comes to the translation of individual UI
>> strings, that the discussion then becomes very narrow and specialized
>> and that this will not be of interest to everyone.  But that is no
>> different than a discussion that is only relevant to 64bit Windows.
>>
>>  I don't think we should hold a gun to people's head to join a ML that
>>> they
>>> might not be interested on the first place. Even if it's just to request
>>> new one.
>>>
>> Well, I can only talk for Dutch OOo community but this is how it worked in
> the past for us.
>
> We had a userlist inside nl.openoffice.org where all was discussed
> on/about localisation  ( level of Native Language)
>
> If we found issues or problems we couldn't realize within that area, we
> went over to the userllist L10n from OOo  (worldwide level)
>
> On the L10n all issues from all NLC came together but they merely concerned
> localization as is.
> It were more technical discussions and issues that arose during
> translations. (like for instance adjustments to GUI if a string was too
> long)
>
> On L10n we also monitored status of translations and work to come and so
> forth.
>
> So in our case it was more a two step ladder, keeping small issues on low
> level and the rest up to L10n

Similar process took for things like Documentation with the OOoAuthors list
at the documentation project.
Also some marketing prospects (specially budget related)

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>wrote:

> Op 25-6-2011 17:23, Rob Weir schreef:
>
>> Thanks for the list.  I looked around.  Some lists are very active.
>> Some have not seen activity for a year or more.  Some seem to never
>> have been active.  And some are just full of spam :-(
>>
>> I can see three ways to decide what to do (but maybe someone has other
>> ideas?):
>>
>> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
>> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
>>
> +1
>
>> Right now we have just a single discussion pubic list, ooo-dev.  I can
>> easily imagine, that once we have some code checked in and start
>> actively working on making our first release, that the traffic in that
>> one list will be larger enough that we'll want to split into
>> specialized functional lists, maybe:
>> [snip]
>>

>> I don't think we're there yet, but I can certainly see that happening
>> in the next few weeks/months.
>>
> I can surely agree with that
>
>  1) Do we want Apache to host a Pootle server?  If so, we need to put
>> together that request and make it happen.
>>
> O yes please...... (but I was the main cinbtributor for that on the "old"
> project for the Dutch language.)
>
> But there was another reason. SUN/Oracle made the builds with about 8
> langiages EMBEDDED in them.
> Yes, indeed one of them was Dutch.  :-)
>
> Furthermore the proces was more and more set to be automated. Source
> strings were fed to POOTLE.
> The translators for each language could then do their job in POOTLE and
> engineers from SUN/Oracle
> pulled, when they could use them in htier proces, the strings from POOTLE
> and proces them towards the build.
> Last minute translations could mostly be delivered on time for the final
> pull for releases
>
> Since localization seemed to be always at the end of the proces translators
> had to work under duress.
> This way the pressure was less at the end of the proces since strings were
> already for the biggest part already
> translated.

At the same time, there was efforts to do the continuos l10n which was meant
to have localization at any time of the process.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ContinuousL10n

server for the continuos l10n will give out reports on false strings.
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/download/

There was also special KeID builds to do QA on the locale which ease the
context of the locale:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/KeyID_Build

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Op 25-6-2011 17:23, Rob Weir schreef:
> Thanks for the list.  I looked around.  Some lists are very active.
> Some have not seen activity for a year or more.  Some seem to never
> have been active.  And some are just full of spam :-(
>
> I can see three ways to decide what to do (but maybe someone has other ideas?):
>
> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
+1
> Right now we have just a single discussion pubic list, ooo-dev.  I can
> easily imagine, that once we have some code checked in and start
> actively working on making our first release, that the traffic in that
> one list will be larger enough that we'll want to split into
> specialized functional lists, maybe:
> [snip]
>
> I don't think we're there yet, but I can certainly see that happening
> in the next few weeks/months.
I can surely agree with that

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Op 25-6-2011 15:05, Andrea Pescetti schreef:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> Do we know how many language-specific user lists we have at OOo today?
>>   Not forums, but user mailing lists.
> I don't know the total figures, but the Italian N-L project has 10, 5 of
> which active:
Dutch NL-project just cleaned up the number of  mailinglists

It is now four;

announce@nl.openoffice.org
gebruikers@nl.openoffice.org  (=users)
discussie@nl.openoffice.org
dev@nl.openoffice.org

traffic is low lately

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dennis and all,

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I agree about both.

With regard to mailing lists, I am very fond of mailing lists that provide a bottom notice that (1) instructs people in a near-trivial means to unsubscribe and (2) provides a link to the public archive.  It removes a lot of mystery, especially because I prune mail folders and often need to go back.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
My experience is that the user has to a) subscribe to this mailing list
and b) he doesn't know how to search for other things like in a FAQ.

Of course, you think it's easy to subscribe and I can search in a mail
archive. But for the *average* user these are unfamiliar things and IMHO
they don't want to go this "complicated" way.

That's a reason why the forums are so successful.

So, +1 for keeping both.

Marcus

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
>>
>> There is a big difference from the users stand point.  If you want to
>> see how "hot" this topic can get go to [1] and search for  forum  .  As
>> an individual I prefer mailing list but I understand why some prefer
>> forums.  For those that do not have high speed connections forums are a
>> bandwidth hog.  The disadvantage to a mailing list is most of the time
>> you have to be subscribed or you may miss replies to your question and
>> makes it hard to follow up as needed.
>>
>> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@documentfoundation.org/
>>
>> For my part we need and can support both.
>>

> But do we need a separate thing for both of them?  Or would a single
> 'place' that supported both forms of access be better? For example, a
> forum that allowed mail subscription globally, or per thread?  Or a
> mailing list with an RSS feed?  There are advantages to having a singe
> store of information.

I agree that having a single point to store questions and answers would
be ideal.  I do not know enough about the technology to use or suggest
RSS or how they could be combined.  From my point of view the technology
used is to different.

> So are they just used for the same things, but accessed differently?
> Or have they diverged to separate, perhaps partially overlapping but
> still sufficiently distinct different user communities who have
> different styles, different tones, different focuses, etc.?

Being on both the mailing list and forum, you see some of the same
questions and cross references one to the other.  The do serve the same
purpose but accessed differently.  But it is that access that is
important to the end user.

Andy

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>wrote:

> 2011.06.24. 23:44 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
>
>  Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
>> technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
>> used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
>> of doing the same things?
>>

> The user downloaded OOo from OOo site can be aware of OOo mailing lists if
> met some problems - users with some knowledge.
> If user get OOo without his knowledge, some admin installed on computer,
> this happens in small companies or public administration,
> This user - average Joe, has knowledge in other software, when met specific
> problems, in most cases use some search engine to find answer, then the
> forum could came first.
> The second type of user prefer forums, and the first type possibly mailing
> lists.
>
> My practice on user forums and Base user and developer mailing list have
> differences, in the forums core developers never posts, questions answered
> by volunteers or other users.
> (It takes time to crawl through all posts, the developers time worth more
> than spend reading questions, easily answerable ones.)
> In users mailing lists, half answers came from core developers, if they
> think, the problem is real. "Easily answerable questions" answered by
> volunteers.
> In developer mailing list users mostly ISVs or power users use, when met
> specific problems, in specific database drivers, or with programming OOo,
> and answered usually by developers.
>
> Zoltan

+1 this explains better the situation. ML where never popular on the
mainstream and very rare to find a traditional user ackowledge or be
attracted to ML.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Op 25-6-2011 9:49, Reizinger Zoltán schreef:
> 2011.06.24. 23:44 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
>> Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
>> technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
>> used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
>> of doing the same things?
>
> The user downloaded OOo from OOo site can be aware of OOo mailing
> lists if met some problems - users with some knowledge.
> If user get OOo without his knowledge, some admin installed on
> computer, this happens in small companies or public administration,
> This user - average Joe, has knowledge in other software, when met
> specific problems, in most cases use some search engine to find
> answer, then the forum could came first.
> The second type of user prefer forums, and the first type possibly
> mailing lists.
>
> My practice on user forums and Base user and developer mailing list
> have differences, in the forums core developers never posts, questions
> answered by volunteers or other users.
> (It takes time to crawl through all posts, the developers time worth
> more than spend reading questions, easily answerable ones.)
> In users mailing lists, half answers came from core developers, if
> they think, the problem is real. "Easily answerable questions"
> answered by volunteers.
> In developer mailing list users mostly ISVs or power users use, when
> met specific problems, in specific database drivers, or with
> programming OOo, and answered usually by developers.
>
> Zoltan

I agree with Zoltan. This is my experience too

I think a forum is better for the end-users.
Particpants (like me who are merely contributing solely translations)
might find use for a mailinglist
to discuss about how to spell / wording / upcoming work to translate
(for instance the online Help) in the native language

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
> > I think this is extremely important and I'm embarrassed that I missed it.
> >
> > I'm also thinking that we need an ooo-user list pretty soon.
> >

> In the incubation proposal we said that we would not be requesting a
> ooo-user list, but would instead be going for phpBB user forums.  But
> that was then, now is now.
>
> OOo has a user list and a user forum, which you can find here:
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ (That is just the
> English language one. There are others )
>
> and here:
>
> http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/users/archive
>
> It looks like the forums get the far greater level of activity.  But
> it would be good to quantify that.  In any case, I think the activity
> level is high enough (forums claim 97 users online at the forums at
> this instant, and 42 active threads today alone) that  I think it
> would be inappropriate for users who want to post a questions and
> check back the next day for an answer.
>
> But lists might be good for other kinds of things.
>
> Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
> technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
> used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
> of doing the same things?
>
> -Rob

People use the forum and lists sometimes for different things. New users
don't really know any difference so they might submit a bug report on the
list or forum even if neither of them is for that.

However in my experience users have different prefferences of communication
and alternative communities form regarding each channel. ie. ML users don't
participate much in the forum and viceversa.

I see more a cultural difference than a real difference. Certainly both
present technological advantages, I can use my email search which is faster
to find things than the forum search. But I get swamp by conversations in
which I am not interested. Which many new users specially are turned off.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.