Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sai Tong <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/03 03:46:13 UTC

conflict of building XML::Xerces-2.5.0-0 using Xerces-C-2.6.0

 want to build XML::Xerces by using g++3.4 as the c++ compiler for
building  Xerces-C(++) library from source.

I downloaded  Xerces-C-2.6.0 (the current version) and build it
successfully using  g++3.4.

And then  I downloaded  the current/latest version of XML-Xerces-Perl
(2.5.0)  to try to make the perl version by building  it  using  the
Xerces-C -2.6.0 library , get the error
--------------

You are attempt to build XML::Xerces-2.5.0-0 using Xerces-C-2.6.0,
this will most likely fail, so I am aborting.

You must use Xerces-C-2.5.0

------------
So I downloaded Xerces-C-2.5.0 and tried to build it using the
compiler g++3.4. The building process was full of problems. After
searching,  I found that  Xerces-C-2.5.0 does not build with g++3.4
version.

Is it possible at all to make XML-Xerces-Perl (2.5.0) with
Xerces-C-2.6.0 ? I really would like to install  the XML::Xerces
Module without having to  find a way to install an older version of
the c++ compiler.

I will  appreciate any help or hint about  this issue.

regards,
Sai T

Re: conflict of building XML::Xerces-2.5.0-0 using Xerces-C-2.6.0

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Lincoln A. Baxter" <la...@lincolnbaxter.com> writes:

> What is involved in make a new Xerces release for each release of
> Xerces-C?  Is it something we would work on scripting, so that we would
> not have to redo it with every release?

In a perfect world, it would simply be a matter of running SWIG
against the new header files, running the regression tests, and
rolling the tarball.

Usually, it involves a small amount of tweaking. For example, often
there are new header files in Xerces-C that must be added to the
Xerces.i interface file used by SWIG.

However, there is currently a horrendous memory leak inside XML-Xerces
at the moment. I did some experiments and couldn't locate the source,
but it wasn't Xerces-C. I re-wrote the Xerces.i interface file to only
use the basic Xerces-C components and the memory lead was gone. So I
haven't wanted to make any new releases until the Xerces.i interface
file could be re-written without the memory leak.

Cheers,
jas.

Re: conflict of building XML::Xerces-2.5.0-0 using Xerces-C-2.6.0

Posted by "Lincoln A. Baxter" <la...@lincolnbaxter.com>.
Hey Jason,

What is involved in make a new Xerces release for each release of
Xerces-C?  Is it something we would work on scripting, so that we would
not have to redo it with every release?

Lincoln

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.