Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Davidson, Glenn" <Gl...@tiaa-cref.org> on 2003/06/11 21:14:58 UTC

RE: Struts can't "get its act together" - JavaPro

Chris,
I tend to agree with your assessment of JavaPro but I'd like to open this up
a little. Right now we are faced with two choices for web development .Net
or not .Net. I can over-simplify the arguments for and against .Net as the
following:

.NET
Pluses
Developer Productivity
Negatives
Vendor lock in.

Others (including Struts)
Pluses
No vendor lock in
Negatives
Less developer Productivity

It seems like many if not most companies are more interested in developer
productivity.

Does anyone know of, or foresee any means by which we (developers) will be
able to be as productive using Struts/JSP/DHTML/JavaScript etc. as people
are using .Net? I'd love to be able to make a case against .Net .

Thanks

Glenn

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Davidson, Glenn wrote:
> Right now we are faced with two choices for web development .Net
> or not .Net. I can over-simplify the arguments for and against .Net as the
> following:
>
> .NET
> Pluses
> Developer Productivity
> Negatives
> Vendor lock in.
>
> Others (including Struts)
> Pluses
> No vendor lock in
> Negatives
> Less developer Productivity
>
> It seems like many if not most companies are more interested in developer
> productivity.
>
> Does anyone know of, or foresee any means by which we (developers) will be
> able to be as productive using Struts/JSP/DHTML/JavaScript etc. as people
> are using .Net? I'd love to be able to make a case against .Net .

I think it's been shown that the two things that make the biggest
difference in productivity are

+ Communication among team members, and
+ The developer UI (or communication between developer and source code)

So, if it were me, and I wanted to do the Right Thing, I'd be pushing to
make an Agile Methodology part of the deal, regardless, and then
comparing Visual Developer with IDEA.

If there's been lower Java developer productivity in the past, IMHO, it
would be for lack of a good developer's UI. (And IDEA may be the best
developer's UI ever invented.)

I don't believe that, in practical terms, there is more vendor lock-in
with MS than with Sun. We have more O/S tools for Java, but we've had
longer to write them.

Sun does go farther to embrace the O/S community than MS. Specifications
like JSTL and JSF were developed under a community process. A
commendable idea, but, in practice, the process is essentially closed,
except to the relatively small working group. And, of course, the source
for the JVMs is still under lock and key.

Of course, many O/S developers are being compelled to go .NET, like it
or not, and so we're taking our tools with us:

Mavnet - Production/stable (final release 15/may/03).
   http://mavnet.sourceforge.net/

NVelocity - Production/stable (version 0.4 shipped 10/jan/03).
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvelocity

NHibernate - Alpha - Good start, but now awaiting release Hibernate 2
(RC2 - 09/may/03).
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nhibernate

NUnit - Production/Stable - 2.0 02/oct/02 - new beta in active development
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nunit/

Log4Net - Production/Stable - 1.1.1 13/apr/02, 1.2 B7 06/may/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4net/

NAnt - Beta - 0.8.2 23/apr/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant/

NLucene - Beta - Shipped b2 16/jul/02, inactive since.
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nlucene

The real battle is being fought on SourceForge: Can we, as O/S
developers, make C#/Java a Coke/Pepsi issue?

Platforms like .NET and J2EE will come and go, but O/S marches on.

-Ted.

Re: Struts can't "get its act together" - JavaPro

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@baseBeans.com>.
Struts is MUCH more productive, and I would be glad to show you, how
using Struts with OO, you can code circles around.
(I also offer the training w/ money back- excuse the sales talk) I just
want to show you that most of my clients choose J2EE over .NET because
it is more productive and more scalable.

.V

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
I have 2 words to say about the .NET stuff

"Springfield monorail"

Posted by James Holmes <ja...@jamesholmes.com>.
I'd recommend you have a look at JavaServer Faces (JSF).  I'm at JavaOne
right now and Sun -- along with other vendors -- is putting some serious
resources into developer productivity by way of JSF.  I have put
together a page on my website with more info on Java Server Faces:

http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/

-James
Struts Console
http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/