Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org> on 2015/08/31 21:57:27 UTC

If you use dedicated jobs - please read!

We are proposing a behavior change between dedicated jobs and quota
consumption [1].  If you use dedicated jobs and production=True, i strongly
suggest you read the ticket and comment.

Currently quota is consumed by any task that is production=True.  This
tends to be problematic since a user with a mix of dedicated and
non-dedicated jobs may have quota intended for both, which dilutes the
meaning of the global allocated quota.  In particular, this makes it
difficult to answer questions like "how much more quota can we allocate?"

This change proposes to alter the scheduler to not charge against quota for
dedicated jobs  In practice, this makes a lot of sense since quota is
primarily intended for provisioning and capacity planning, and dedicated
hosts are likely provisioned separately from everything in the 'shared
pool'.

Happy to answer any questions and/or clarify things on the ticket!

-=Bill

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1457