Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by kkaczkow <ko...@cern.ch> on 2018/12/07 14:19:23 UTC

Using AMQP against ActiveMQ 5

Hey guys!

I was wondering is there is any handicap related to using AMQP against
ActiveMQ instead of OpenWire? Also is using Apache Qpid, which implements
JMS 2.0, fully compatible with ActiveMQ 5?

Does anyone has any remarks about using Qpid against Artemis?

Cheers,
Konrad

Re: Using AMQP against ActiveMQ 5

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 12/10/18 5:50 AM, kkaczkow wrote:
> Hello Tim!
>
> I have tested AMQP with ActiveMQ 5 and it turned out to be approximately 3
> times slower than OpenWire. Would you have any hints how to improve
> performance for AMQP (both on broker and client side)?
>
> Konrad

There isn't much more to be done on the ActiveMQ 5.x broker to improve
AMQP performance due to the broker architecture it is never going to be
as performant as OpenWire which is the built in protocol.  You are of
course welcome to dive into the code and see if you can squeeze some
more out of it but if you are just needing raw AMQP performance than I'd
recommend you test out Artemis which will perform significantly better
with AMQP out of the gate.

I'm not sure what client you are using so hard to offer any suggestions
but again I doubt there is a ton of headroom there that can be easily
made available.

--
Tim Bish

Re: Using AMQP against ActiveMQ 5

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/18 9:19 AM, kkaczkow wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I was wondering is there is any handicap related to using AMQP against
> ActiveMQ instead of OpenWire? Also is using Apache Qpid, which implements
> JMS 2.0, fully compatible with ActiveMQ 5?

When used against ActiveMQ 5.x brokers the Qpid JMS client features for
JMS 1.1 will work, other JMS 2.0 may or may not work depending on
whether it is a client side or broker side feature. Things like shared
subscriptions won't work so if that is what you are after then you need
to move to Artemis as that supports the JMS 2.0 API.

Qpid JMS is tested regularly with both 5.x brokers and Artemis brokers
so you shouldn't have issue with either however performance against 5.x
will be significantly lower compared to Artemis so I'd recommend testing
if you go with 5.x to ensure it meets your needs.

> Does anyone has any remarks about using Qpid against Artemis?
>
> Cheers,
> Konrad

Tim Bish