Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/27 15:42:27 UTC

[DAEMON] Need help building Windows native binaries

I'm trying to debug DAEMON-156, however it's very difficult without
being able to rebuild prunsrv.exe.

The documentation suggests that one can use the make file

src/native/nt/procrun/apps/prunsrv/prunsrv.x86

However, MS Nmake 1.5 complains about the syntax:

prunsrv.x86(55) : fatal error U1088: invalid separator '::' on inference rule

GNU make 3.81 also complains:

prunsrv.x86:19: *** missing separator.  Stop.

This appears to be because it does not like the syntax of the conditionals.

So: how does one use the makefile to build prunsrv?

What software is required?

Re: [DAEMON] Need help building Windows native binaries

Posted by timmann <ti...@gmail.com>.

sebb-2-2 wrote:

> But I didn't know what you meant by "setup the command line environment".
>
> Did you just mean calling SetEnv with the appropriate flags?

To set the environment, try running the vcvars32.bat file in the same shell
before compiling.

The bat file should be in the bin directory under your dev environment, such
as:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin

Re: [DAEMON] Need help building Windows native binaries

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27/03/2010, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 03/27/2010 08:14 PM, sebb wrote:
>

> > >  Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5
> > >
> > >  instead of Win32 2003 r2 Platform SDK - is that OK?
> > >

> > Scratch that - the download page for that now says to use:
> >
> > Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> >

>  Like said, you will need 2K3R2 SDK cause it has a compiler
>  that produces binaries linked against MSVCRT.dll
>  It has only 64-bit compilers, so you will need VS6 for
>  32 bit ones.
>
>  Windows 7 SDK has VS2008 inside and creates binaries
>  linked with MSVCRT9.dll
>  When you try to load the Java5 (MSVCRT.dll) or Java6
>  (MSCRT71.dll) that creates a lot of problems.

I see.

So is the idea to link against the earliest version of the CRT so that
the applications will continue to run under later versions of Java?

>  How to setup the command line environment?
>  Well, if you don't know that, what's the point of trying
>  to develop in C?

I do know how to use DOS (and have written quite a few DOS scripts,
and have written lots of C in the past, on Windows 3.1, Unix, OpenVMS
and others I have forgotten).

But I didn't know what you meant by "setup the command line environment".

Did you just mean calling SetEnv with the appropriate flags?

> > > Where is SetEnv.cmd to be found?
> > >

>  Inside Platform SDK directory

OK, I've seen that mentioned in the release notes now that I have
downloaded the SDK.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.