Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bas Passon <BP...@parite.nl> on 2000/10/24 11:36:50 UTC

problems counting in loops

Hello,

I have got a small problem, counting in xsl, see the following fragment of
code

	<xsl:variable name="count" select="1"/>
	<xsl:for-each select="item">
		...do something
		<xsl:variable name="count" select="$count+1"/>
	</xsl:for-each>

for some reason the count variable stays 1. What am i doing
wrong. I looked at the XPath docs, but this is a valid
expr.

Thnx

Bas

Re: problems counting in loops

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@flagship.ru>.
problems counting in loopsBy XSL rules you cannot assign a new value to a
variable.
To implement this kind of counting you have to use recursion.
Btw, to count the number of elements you can use the count() function:

<xsl:variable select="count(items)"/>

Regards,
  Kot.