Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/01 00:39:43 UTC

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

On 06/30/2011 09:12 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir<ap...@robweir.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>>
>> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
>> of migration.
>>
>> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>>
>> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
>> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>>
>> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
>> explain the nature of the customizations?
>>
>> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
>> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>>
>> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
>> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
>> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
>> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
>> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>>
>> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
>> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
>> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
>> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>>

> I can argually say that both suck,

yep! :) to and end user, both are quite obtuse!

  the issue tracker that I have seen
> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>
> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
> projects.
>
> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
> However I found not many people really used it.

with jira you can set up "default" assignees, and many other things if
you care to. There's a lot you can do to "customize" jira but it does
take a fair amount of work.

> I can go to JIRA and find the feature list and compare it with Bugzilla, and
> I can see there are some minor advantages, but I agree that the familiarity
> of bugzilla is usually lower the learning curve for most people. I mean
> whats the point of having a better issue tracker if the users don't get it
> right away?
>

>> -Rob
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Dave Fisher<da...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>> this, so
>> of

>> use would be a second order priority for me.
>>>
>>> There seems to be consensus.
>>>
>>> (1) We must somehow preserve the old bugzilla ids.
>>>
>>> (2) There is no clear preference on Bugzilla over JIRA.
>>>
>>> I think that we need to ask the infrastructure team what they think about
>> the situation.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose