Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr> on 2011/06/07 21:09:58 UTC

Implementing the OSGi logging service

Hello,

I chose Felix to add embedded OSGi capabilities to an existing host
application, and am happy with that choice.  The host application
already uses a logging framework (SLF4J with Logback Classic as the
bound implementation), so I exported the SLF4J API -- not the Logback
implementation -- using "system packages extra" and that's fine too.

However, I'd like to provide an implementation of the standard OSGi
logging service APIs that delegates logging to SLF4J so that I can
hide that implementation choice a bit more.  The felix logging
implementation bundle includes both the API and the Felix
implementation.

My question is: where can I get the logging API without the Felix
implementation?  I'd like to get it from the same source as Felix,
without having to hack at the Felix bundle to strip out the
implementation that isn't necessary in my situation.

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Implementing the OSGi logging service

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.
Hello Peter,

My remark about race conditioning is based on the remarks in Neil Bartlett's
OSGi book where he discusses getting a service reference then adding a
listener (or doing it the other way round) and how it gets messy handling
that, and that a service tracker's therefore much better.  I can see
therefore a possibility, even with buffering, even with a service tracker
for getting the log reader, in between querying the reader for past log
entries and registering the event handler for future log entries, where I'd
have to deal with overlaps or gaps in the event history.  And because in
practice, things tend to crash a bit more at startup, it'd be a shame to
miss a critical log event at startup if it occurred during such a gap (and I
don't want to hack away and force start up order because it's not the OSGi
way...).

A whiteboard or event admin would be nice.  Felix's EventAdmin uses the log
service IIRC (haven't tested that yet) so there'd be a feedback loop to
watch out for.

By the way Peter, as a relative newcomer to OSGi, just a quick thankyou for
writing "bnd" :-)

--
Christopher

Posted by Peter Kriens <pe...@aqute.biz>.

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.

Posted by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.
Just did, it's interesting but provides a "big" solution whereas I'm
trying (in this specific case) to limit the API "surface" that third
parties will use when integrating with the embedded OSGi framework.

Bookmarked it all the same, could be very useful in other cases.

Thanks !

Posted by mv...@comcast.net.