Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brett Bell <br...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/18 10:47:46 UTC

Make install fails because it wants to write to directories i don't have access to

I am having problems building the Subversion  1.1 tar ball

I can successfully go throught the configure and make steps of the
build process but the make install step fails as it's trying to write
to a part of the file system I don't have rights to because I am
trying to install Subversion in a shell account.  Is there a way to
overide the default so I can  get make install to put all the files
it's building into the areas I can write to?

Here is the output I get:

mkdir /usr/local/apr
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr': Permission denied
mkdir /usr/local/apr/include
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr/include': No such file
or directory
mkdir /usr/local/apr/include/apr-0
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr/include/apr-0': No such
file or directory

kind regards

Brett

Re: Make install fails because it wants to write to directories i don't have access to

Posted by Raye Raskin <ra...@pobox.com>.
>I am having problems building the Subversion  1.1 tar ball
>
> I can successfully go throught the configure and make steps of the
> build process but the make install step fails as it's trying to write
> to a part of the file system I don't have rights to because I am
> trying to install Subversion in a shell account.  Is there a way to
> overide the default so I can  get make install to put all the files
> it's building into the areas I can write to?
>
> Here is the output I get:
>
> mkdir /usr/local/apr
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr': Permission denied
> mkdir /usr/local/apr/include
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr/include': No such file
> or directory
> mkdir /usr/local/apr/include/apr-0
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/apr/include/apr-0': No such
> file or directory
>
> kind regards
>
> Brett

I'd say you need to do one of the following:

  log in as root to do the install
or
  get a sysadmin to create the above directories and change ownership
    (temporarily) for you to be able to write to them
or
  edit (or ./configure) the makefiles to install elsewhere

My $.02

Re: Make install fails because it wants to write to directories i don't have access to

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.
Re-run `configure', and pass it something like ``--prefix=/some/directory/you/do/have/write/access/to''
--
A novice of the temple once approached the Master Programmer with a question.
"Master, does Emacs have the Buddha nature?" the novice asked.