Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id> on 2013/10/04 05:26:08 UTC

Slow network speed to VM instances after upgrade to CloudStack 4.2.0

Dear all,

After CloudStack upgrade to 4.2.0, the network speed to our VM instances is
very slow and seems to be limited to 2 Mbps for both ingress and egress
traffic for each instance. It seems that there's some network rate limiting
which didn't take effect on CloudStack version 4.1.1 or below, but now is
taking effect on CloudStack 4.2.0.

I read this article on how CloudStack manages the network traffic for the
VMs:

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.1/html/Admin_Guide/network-rate.html

For guest VMs, the network rate-limiting is set on the compute offering
associate with each VM. Please CMIIW.

All our guest VMs are created under different accounts and have their own
compute offering, which is auto-created under that specific account when
the VM instance is created.

The issue is, from admin account, I can't seem to modify the compute
offering for the guest VMs. If I go to GUI > Service Offerings > Compute
Offering, I can only see the compute offering for admin account only. How
can I see and modify the compute offering under different accounts?

Furthermore, it seems that I cannot modify the network rate field of an
existing compute offering. How do I modify it so that I can set higher
network rate limit or unlimited bandwidth for an existing guest VM?

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

Re: Slow network speed to VM instances after upgrade to CloudStack 4.2.0

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, your observations on Compute Offerings are by design.  They can only
be created and managed by admin accounts, and only the name and
description can be edited.  They can be public or domain-specific, but a
root admin account should be able to view all of them.

Instead of editing existing offerings to set the desired network
throttling, new ones need to be created (using an admin account) and the
VMs updated.  VMs will need to be stopped, and it can be done by a root
admin or the user that owns the VMs.  The change can be made via UI or
API (changeServiceForVirtualMachine command).

But are you sure the Compute Offering is causing this?  Is the Network
Rate on the Compute Offering for the affected VMs set to 2 Mbit/sec?
What hypervisor are the affected VMs running on, and what type of
network (isolated or shared)? The actual network throttling seen by VMs
is complicated and depends on a combination of factors including:

1) Network type (isolate or shared)
2) Hypervisor of the guest
3) Hypervisor of the virtual router (for isolated networks)
4) NIC driver of virtual router (for vSphere)
5) Network Offering for the network
6) Compute Offering for the instance
7) System Service Offering for the virtual router (isolated networks)
8) Direction of traffic (ingress or egress)
9) The vm.network.throttling.rate global parameter
10) The network.throttling.rate zone parameter
11) Actual physical capabilities of the network and hosts

Best regards,
Kirk