Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2007/05/22 13:09:55 UTC

BootStrap - Is in redundant?

Please bear with me while I study and learn Tomcats src code...

My environment is a little different to the ant build, in that I am running the source directly from the netbeans IDE. It works by the way and once I've figured it all out, I'll post the project to a site so others can do it too. The biggest difference is that tomcat becomes one jar file... with just a few associated lib files like ant.jar

The other thing is that the mode of operation I'm working with, is not the typical embedded environment... its still XML config environment, with conf and webapps in the same folder as the jar file....  it seems to work perfectly.

OK... questions... lots of em... guessing is allowed ;)

=BOOTSTRAP=
Bootstrap seems to classload files in the SERVER folder (old tomcat 5.5 style) and then it calls into "Catalina" which does the digest XML stuff and this in turn calls into Embedded.  Other than for legacy support, does this mean Bootstrap is redundant?  If I bypass Bootstrap and call (start) directly into Catalina... it seems to work perfectly... but I'm just wondering if theres a surprize somewhere if one bypasses that server class loader.

=Start Stop Mechanism=
I see that START goes into a wait loop... and it will pop out of this when STOP is called.  I understand how this works from a single program (process), but I cant understand how this works from start and stop bat files... or in two calls from 2 separate processes. To me that will launch an instance and start it... and launch a separate instance and stop it... never shall the 2 meet??? How does that work?

=EJB and Annotations=
I see stuff like javax.ejb and javax.annotation in the source.... what is that stuff for?

=org.apache.tomcat.util.net.puretls.... seems broken=
To make this thing work... one ends up with external libs... like cryptix, puretls... its a mission!  Can I remove this... is it experimental??

=org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.2.3.v_686_R32x.jar=
Why?  Is this for compiling? What does Tomcat compile at runtime? Why is this lib needed?

Thanks in advance.... hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute.

Johnny Kewl
  eMail: John<No Spam>kewlstuff.co.za  -- replace <No Spam> with @ --
  Cell: +027-72- 473-9331
Java Developer (Tomcat Aficionado)
  Free Tomcat software at  http://coolese.100free.com/

Re: BootStrap - Is in redundant?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Ha... thank u kind sir... I see it now, the mystery of StandardServer is
unraveled ;)

Posted by Mark Deneen <md...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Johnny Kewl" <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote in message
>Please bear with me while I study and learn Tomcats src code...
>
>My environment is a little different to the ant build, in that I am running
>the source directly from the netbeans IDE. It >works by the way and once
>I've figured it all out, I'll post the project to a site so others can do
>it too. The biggest >difference is that tomcat becomes one jar file... with
>just a few associated lib files like ant.jar
>
>The other thing is that the mode of operation I'm working with, is not the
>typical embedded environment... its still XML >config environment, with
>conf and webapps in the same folder as the jar file....  it seems to work
>perfectly.
>
>OK... questions... lots of em... guessing is allowed ;)
>
>=BOOTSTRAP=
>Bootstrap seems to classload files in the SERVER folder (old tomcat 5.5
>style) and then it calls into "Catalina" which >does the digest XML stuff
>and this in turn calls into Embedded.  Other than for legacy support, does
>this mean >Bootstrap is redundant?  If I bypass Bootstrap and call (start)
>directly into Catalina... it seems to work perfectly... but >I'm just
>wondering if theres a surprize somewhere if one bypasses that server class
>loader.

The main point of Bootstrap is to minimize what is on the System classpath
(which caused no end of problems in TC 3.2.x).  It also allows you to
configure your classloaders in 5.5 style if you want.  If all of the TC jars
are in the System classpath, it doesn't matter if you use it or not.

>=Start Stop Mechanism=
>I see that START goes into a wait loop... and it will pop out of this when
>STOP is called.  I understand how this works >from a single program
>(process), but I cant understand how this works from start and stop bat
>files... or in two calls >from 2 separate processes. To me that will launch
>an instance and start it... and launch a separate instance and stop >it...
>never shall the 2 meet??? How does that work?

Already answered, but yes, it is via a socket connection (at least for the
script launching).  Lauching via jsvc does this differently (directly
calling the stop method on the running TC).

>=EJB and Annotations=
>I see stuff like javax.ejb and javax.annotation in the source.... what is
>that stuff for?

This is for Annotation and Resource Injection (@see section 14.5 of the 2.5
Servlet spec), and is the main reason that TC 6.x requires Java 5.

>=org.apache.tomcat.util.net.puretls.... seems broken=
>To make this thing work... one ends up with external libs... like cryptix,
>puretls... its a mission!  Can I remove this... is it >experimental??

You can remove it.  If the PureTLS jars aren't arround when you compile, TC
quitely removes it from the build.  It is an alternative to JSSE for people
that want it, but if the PureTLS jars aren't there, it just sits quitely in
it jar.

>=org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.2.3.v_686_R32x.jar=
>Why?  Is this for compiling? What does Tomcat compile at runtime? Why is
>this lib needed?

This is used for compiling JSP pages to classes (at least in the default
configuration).  This is useful for development work, but you would usually
precompile the pages for production.