Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Benjamin Asbach <ne...@impl.it> on 2021/07/21 18:58:11 UTC

NetBeans Jira issues are not indexed by search engines

I wonder what your thoughts are on that topic: Currently Apache Jira is
configured so that search engines are discouraged to index Jira issues.
 From my point of view this leads to a scenario where users/developers
don't find the right bugs, cannot contribute valuable information, are
encouraged to create duplicates and in the end might switch to another
IDE because of a combination of all these points.

I created a issue[1] for that which was closed immediately.

I think it's crucial that the community of a community driven project
should be able to find resources of a project in the most convenient way
(which is google).

just wanted to raise awareness of this issue and like to know your
thoughts about that.

Thanks
Benjamin

Re: NetBeans Jira issues are not indexed by search engines

Posted by Benjamin Asbach <ne...@impl.it>.
I wonder if this is still an issue:

Based on your question I double checked the problem. Actually robots.txt
(now?) states:

>> Allow: /jira/browse/*

Which seems to be enough. I'm also now able to find some issues on
google.

So I guess sorry for that noise.

Thanks
Benjamin

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
One idea: Add a mailing list, with a public (plain-text) archive just like this one, that just subscribes to all NetBeans JIRA issues...

-- Eirik

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Benjamin Asbach <ne...@impl.it>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, dem 21.07.2021 um 12:58 -0600 schrieb Benjamin Asbach:

> just wanted to raise awareness of this issue and like to know your
> thoughts about that.

the TL;DR version of the reply is - Status quo:

- JIRA creates a huge server load for each rendered issue page
- there are various crawlers out there, this multiplies the load
- ASF has already put effort and resources into optimizing this

What is planned:

- Migrate to the Alassian cloud system, this might be better equipped
  to handle crawlers

Sorry, what do you expect? The ASF does not have infinite resources and
I think the reply from INFRA is sane.

Greetings

Matthias