Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/05/25 11:58:26 UTC

Suggestions for Stanbol's first PMC chair

Hi,

Assuming we agree on graduating, Stanbol will need a PMC chair - see
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair for what
that means, it's basically the interface between the newly created PMC
and the ASF's board of directors.

The PMC chair does not have more power than others, it's mostly a
liaison role - driving the quarterly reporting and making sure
communication between the PMC and board works, maybe occasionally
attending board conference calls when there's specific issues to
discuss.

>From my perception as someone who's been following Stanbol without
being involved in all of the details, I have 3 candidates in mind:
Fabian Christ, Rupert Westenthaler and Olivier Grisel, who IMO have
emerged as natural leaders in Stanbol, in various areas.

Whoever we decide to suggest as the PMC chair, I suggest revisiting
this decision yearly - some rotation is good, and that would give the
opportunity to others to learn more about how the ASF works.

If people prefer discussing this on the private list, I'm fine with that.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

Re: Suggestions for Stanbol's first PMC chair

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

and thanks for your suggestions - I feel honored.

I think Rupert is the real guru of Apache Stanbol. He is the one who
has the deepest understanding of its features and contributed a lot of
code. Olivier is for sure our great mind for all NLP features with a
very deep technical understanding. I was more in the role of a project
administrator and its build and release process.

If Rupert or Olivier would like to take the PMC chair, they for sure
have my vote. In case, I would be voted for the PMC chair I would take
it with the deepest respect for the work that all others have put into
this podling. As Bertrand said, the PMC chair does not have more
power, he is just in the role of a communicator for the podling.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Suggestions for Stanbol's first PMC chair

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2012/5/25 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Assuming we agree on graduating, Stanbol will need a PMC chair - see
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-chair for what
> that means, it's basically the interface between the newly created PMC
> and the ASF's board of directors.
>
> The PMC chair does not have more power than others, it's mostly a
> liaison role - driving the quarterly reporting and making sure
> communication between the PMC and board works, maybe occasionally
> attending board conference calls when there's specific issues to
> discuss.
>
> From my perception as someone who's been following Stanbol without
> being involved in all of the details, I have 3 candidates in mind:
> Fabian Christ, Rupert Westenthaler and Olivier Grisel, who IMO have
> emerged as natural leaders in Stanbol, in various areas.

+1 for Fabian or Rupert :)

--
Olivier