Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2016/01/05 21:13:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Preparing for 0.8.0 Release

All -

I would like to both volunteer as release manager and start identifying the
target features for an 0.8.0 release.

As has been discussed on the [1] thread, the driving feature should be the
inclusion of the incoming pac4j federation provider and some key
authentication mechanisms:

* CAS
* OpenID Connect
* OAuth 2

This will be focused on usecases that benefit from such an integration -
those being:

* Web SSO using KnoxSSO for access to participating applications such as:
Ambari, Ranger, Hadoop UIs, etc.
* The use of the SSOCookieProvider for protecting access to the REST APIs
through the Knox Gateway and how this can be leveraged in the development
of an application that participates in KnoxSSO.

I think that we should identify critical issues that need to be fixed as
early as possible and ensure that they are also backported to the 0.7.0
branch for an upcoming maint release from the line.

I will take a pass through the JIRAs that are currently marked as fix
version 0.8.0 and try and push out everything not critical and not related
to pac4j. We can discuss moving individual JIRAs back as appropriate.
Critical issues should be set as fix version 0.8.0 and 0.7.0.

I propose that we target a quick release cycle for 0.8.0 in order to get
this functionality out to the community.

What do we all think about 1/29th as the target release date?

thanks,

--larry

Re: [DISCUSS] Preparing for 0.8.0 Release

Posted by Sumit Gupta <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Larry, thanks for volunteering to manage the next release. The feature set
and release date both sound terrific to me. I think the community will
greatly benefit from quick releases that have meaty features.

+1

Sumit.

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Unfortunately, I forgot to list the [1] thread that is in the JIRA for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KNOX-641.
This is where it was proposed that we defer the pac4j work to 0.8.0.

Sorry for any confusion.