Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com> on 2017/10/13 14:20:43 UTC

Proposal to release Sentry 2.0.0

Hello all,

We need to release sentry HA functionality so that community can start
using it. In this regard I proposed to have a sentry 1.9.0 release as there
were some outstanding issues integrating with Hive. Community was not
positive on this proposal for various reasons.

With recent findings we think we don't have to wait for Hive fixes. With
the changes that are planned for below listed Jira's sentry would use a
combination of Semantic Hooks and AuthV2 interface to integrate with HIVE
2.0.

   1. SENTRY-1978 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1978> -Move
   the hive-authz2 grant/revoke implementation into the sentry-binding-hive
   module

   1. SENTRY-1980 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1980>- Move
   the hive-authz2 HMS client filtering implementation into the
   sentry-binding-hive module.

I have created a umbrella jira for releasing Sentry 2.0 .

   1. SENTRY-1982 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1982> -Release
   sentry 2.0.0 upstream

I have linked issues that are blocking the release. If you see any issue
that is blocking please attach it to this jira. That way we can fix them
and clear all the road blocks for releasing SENTYR 2.0.0

-Kalyan

Re: Proposal to release Sentry 2.0.0

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.
Sergio,

I will do it today.
Thanks for letting me know.

-Kalyan

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Kalyan.

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Proposal to release Sentry 2.0.0

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Sergio,

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Proposal to release Sentry 2.0.0

Posted by Na Li <li...@cloudera.com>.
Kalyan,

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.
Sasha,

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Kalyan.

I like the proposal. The original idea was to switch to hive-authz2 on
Sentry 2.0, but we can have this mix for now. It won't be incompatible to
switch completely to checkPrivileges() in the future once we understand
hive and sentry relationship on this area.

+1

Posted by Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>.
Kalyan,

Thank you for pushing forward 2.0 release!

> On Oct 13, 2017, at 7:20 AM, Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> We need to release sentry HA functionality so that community can start
> using it. In this regard I proposed to have a sentry 1.9.0 release as there
> were some outstanding issues integrating with Hive. Community was not
> positive on this proposal for various reasons.

It would be great if you can summarize these reasons here for future reference.

> With recent findings we think we don't have to wait for Hive fixes. With
> the changes that are planned for below listed Jira's sentry would use a
> combination of Semantic Hooks and AuthV2 interface to integrate with HIVE
> 2.0.

In your earlier email regarding 1.9 release you also mention issues with moving up to Java 8 and some issues with Solr-7 integration. Does this mean that you have a better idea of how to deal with these issues now?

>   1. SENTRY-1978 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1978> -Move
>   the hive-authz2 grant/revoke implementation into the sentry-binding-hive
>   module

This looks like “refactoring change” so it doesn’t actually change any existing functionality - right?

>   1. SENTRY-1980 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1980>- Move
>   the hive-authz2 HMS client filtering implementation into the
>   sentry-binding-hive module.

Same here - this seems to be a refactoring change which doesn’t affect any existing functionality.

I think you are referring to some planned follow-up work to actually solve the authorization problem for Hive 2 - right?

> I have created a umbrella jira for releasing Sentry 2.0 .
>
>   1. SENTRY-1982 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1982> -Release
>   sentry 2.0.0 upstream
>

> I have linked issues that are blocking the release. If you see any issue
> that is blocking please attach it to this jira. That way we can fix them
> and clear all the road blocks for releasing SENTYR 2.0.0

What is your impression once you looked at these issues - do you think that you should be able to fix majority of these or do you think that these ca nbe simply moved out of the release?

> -Kalyan

- Alex