Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2001/05/27 16:41:01 UTC

Re: macintosh osX - mod_perl install problems -> head - HEAD - setenv

Ken Williams wrote:

> lambretta@inet.uni2.dk (allan) wrote:
> >im aware of the head/HEAD problem that comes with LWP on mac osX and
> >have therefore copied a binary head that ken williams sent me into
> >/usr/bin and moved the lwp head into /usr/local/bin.
>
> Looks like that problem still isn't fixed, as shown by the following
> error message:
>
> >Usage: head [-options] <url>...
> >    -m <method>   use method for the request (default is 'HEAD')
>
> You may have a different PATH than I do, or different capitalization on
> the binary files.  The upshot is that when you run the 'head' command,
> it *must* run the /usr/bin/head program I sent you and not LWP's 'HEAD'
> script.  Here's a transcript from my shell, what does yours say?
>
>    [localhost:~] ken% which head
>    /usr/bin/head
>    [localhost:~] ken% which HEAD
>    /usr/local/bin/HEAD

hi ken
thank you  for the pointer but this head file is really going on my
nerves ,-)

one thing: i have discovered that another problem i have had since
upgrading to perl 5.6.1 might be interfering with the one in this topic
(im not sure though -  it is concerning setenv)

look at this new fresh terminal window:

[localhost:~] aju% which head
/usr/local/bin/head
[localhost:~] aju% which HEAD
/usr/bin/HEAD
[localhost:~] aju% setenv LC_ALL C
[localhost:~] aju% setenv LANG "en_US"
[localhost:~] aju% which head
/usr/bin/head
[localhost:~] aju% which HEAD
/usr/local/bin/HEAD

one thing is certain even if dont use the setenv command:

the file called head inside /usr/bin is definetely the binary you sent me
the file called head inside /usr/local/bin is definetely the LWP one
inside these directories there are definetely only one head file (ie
there is no room for another with another capitalization)

nevertheless when i try to build mod_perl i will get the annoying:

Usage: head [-options] <url>...
    -m <method>   use method for the request (default is 'HEAD')

maybe i should just start all over, reformat and everything ...?

thanks once again
allan

Re: macintosh osX - mod_perl install problems -> head - HEAD - setenv

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
thanks again

i did something similar with that lwp-head before i read your reply, but
somewhat more stupid:

rm HEAD

(!)

in fact i have now tested mod_perl with only "ok"s and "skipped on this
platform"s and installed as well with no complaints whatsoever.
so i guess im almost there (im posting other queries just after this)

allan

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.
lambretta@inet.uni2.dk (allan) wrote:
>one thing: i have discovered that another problem i have had since
>upgrading to perl 5.6.1 might be interfering with the one in this topic
>(im not sure though -  it is concerning setenv)
>
>look at this new fresh terminal window:
>
>[localhost:~] aju% which head
>/usr/local/bin/head
>[localhost:~] aju% which HEAD
>/usr/bin/HEAD
>[localhost:~] aju% setenv LC_ALL C
>[localhost:~] aju% setenv LANG "en_US"
>[localhost:~] aju% which head
>/usr/bin/head
>[localhost:~] aju% which HEAD
>/usr/local/bin/HEAD

Criminy!  I don't understand this one bit.  But if you do:

  cd /usr/local/bin
  mv HEAD LWP-HEAD

then you should have it out of the way for good.  At least until you try
to upgrade LWP. =)

>maybe i should just start all over, reformat and everything ...?

No, that's probably a bit too drastic if you've got anything of
consequence on the disk.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum