Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vas aal <al...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/23 05:43:33 UTC

Is it possible to read the data in a particlar cell of a row based on the text in the cell?

Hi,
    I am reading an excel sheet using POI. I need to
extract the data from specific rows, based on the text
in the cell of a row. I have seen the API and sample
code. I got only the row retrival using the row
number. I am looking to retrieve the data retrival
using the data in the row. is this possible?

    Also, how can i traverse all the rows available in
the sheet? Any API method is there which will return
all rows in first column, all rows in second column ?

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to read the data in a particlar cell of a row based on the text in the cell?

Posted by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Vas.

Having the row you've to decide whether it's null or not. Being non null
you can retrieve a specific column. There you also have to decide
whether it's null or not null. Being non null you read the value
according to it's given type. Having a formula cell you've to know the
expected type because applying the wrong function you don't receive an
exception (empty result instead).

Regards, Karl-Heinz.