Posted to announce@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/05 18:53:25 UTC

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

"With great pleasure we announce the availability of Apache Wicket 6.0.0"
-- Martijn Dashorst, Vice President, Apache Wicket

Apache Wicket v6.0.0 is the 6th major release of the popular open
source Java web framework. Numerous enhancements make Apache Wicket
v6.0.0 a solid choice for web development:

- Out-of-the box JQuery integration
- Complete control over AJAX requests
- Improved event registration in browsers
- Support for large datasets in components
- Dependency management for client side javascript libraries
- Experimental support for websockets

Additional features include a customizable client-side API, improved
feedback messages, correct packaging for OSGi compatibility and
improved initialization of plugins. Highlights include:

Java 6 required -This release moves the minimum required Java version
to Java 6. This means that Wicket applications running on earlier Java
versions meaning to upgrade, also need to upgrade their Java runtime.

Revamped Wicket AJAX now leverages JQuery - Wicket's custom AJAX
JavaScript library has been re-implemented using JQuery. This makes it
easier to integrate JQuery plugins into Wicket applications. With the
new AJAX implementation it is possible to provide your own version of
JQuery should the need arise, or even to replace the whole Wicket
client side AJAX implementation.

AJAX Attributes - With the new and improved AJAX implementation, you
can alter any aspect of an AJAX request through AjaxRequestAttributes.
For example you can specify that the request should be executed using
POST instead of GET, or that the AJAX request should be multi-part,
etc. See the migration guide or the JavaDoc of AjaxRequestAttributes
for all possible options.

Browser event registration replaces inline events - Wicket now uses
JavaScript event registration instead of inline attributes for AJAX
components. This enables multiple event listeners to be attached to a
markup tag, cleans up the rendered markup considerably and reduces the
amount of generated markup.

IDataProvider now uses long instead of int - The IDataProvider<T>
interface and implementations now use long instead of int for index
and size parameters to better line up with the Java Persistence API
and other persistency frameworks. Big data is now possible with
Wicket!

${label} replaces ${input} in feedback messages - Previous Wicket
versions used the input that was provided by users in error messages
when validations failed. This led to error messages like "1234a is not
a valid number". In Wicket 6 the feedback messages use the label of
the invalid form component instead. You can set the label by calling
setLabel() on the form component. If no label is provided, Wicket
defaults to displaying the component identifier. This changes the
error message to "Phonenumber is not a valid number".

Resources can declare dependencies - It is now much easier to create
resource contributions with dependencies, for example a JQuery plugin
can declare a dependency on JQuery and other resources such as
embedded style sheets. Users of such resources don’t have to provide
these dependencies themselves, and the dependencies are linked in the
appropriate order.

Packaged resources will use minimized version automatically - When a
minimized JavaScript resource is available (filename.min.js – add the
.min part to the filename before the extension), Wicket will
automatically use the minimized version when running in deployment
mode, while using the non-minimized version for development mode.

OSGi compatible packaging - Wicket's packaging has been made
compatible with OSGi bundles by moving some classes to different
packages. The full list can be found in our migration guide. This
makes it much easier to deploy Wicket applications in an OSGi
environment.

Experimental websocket implementations - This release also includes
two experimental websocket implementations: one using Atmosphere as a
bridge for browsers and containers that don't support websockets
natively and one for containers and browsers that have native
websocket support.

The complete set of changes is available in the migration guide at
http://s.apache.org/wicket-6.0-migration

Availability and Oversight

As with all Apache products, Apache Wicket v6.0.0 is released under
the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of
active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee
(PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community
development and product releases. Apache Wicket source code,
documentation, and related resources are available at
http://wicket.apache.org/

"Apache", "Wicket", "Apache Wicket", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of
The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are
the property of their respective owners.

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Kees van Dieren <in...@squins.com>.
Congratulations and thanks for all the effort!

Best regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Kees van Dieren
Squins | IT, Honestly
Oranjestraat 23
2983 HL Ridderkerk
The Netherlands
Mobile: +31 (0)6 30413841
www.squins.com
http://twitter.com/keesvandieren
Chamber of commerce Rotterdam: 24435130
Boeken voor school en werk bestel je op studieboekencenter.nl

Posted by Luca Provenzani <eu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for this new version!

Posted by Olivier Dutrieux <ol...@pasteur.fr>.
Very very nice, very very greatest job

thx

Duto

-----
Duto

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Here are a few articles which may be useful for you:

http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/whats-new-in-wicket-6/
http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-javascript-improvements/
http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-native-websockets/
http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-resource-management/

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> wrote:
> Good job

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro>.
Good job

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Madasamy Sankarapandian <ma...@mcruncher.com>.
Thanks for your great job

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Minas Manthos <mi...@gmail.com>.
Nice Job! Thanks to all!

Re: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Wicket™ 6.0.0

Posted by Michael M <ge...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations, and thank you!