Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Michael Bryant <mg...@4mi.net> on 2006/02/14 22:37:06 UTC

DomainKeys/crypto question

I'm currently working on a DomainKeys verification mailet.

I have been taking hints from the RFC which uses the openssl command
line for illustrations. I have written a simple Java wrapper that
makes system calls to openssl, and I'm using this wrapper to do
signature verification. I admit this is not a very efficient way to
perform the verification, but it has allowed me to spend more time on
other issues like message canonicalization, and parsing the TXT
records and signature header.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do the verification in Java
natively? I have a the public key which is published in a DNS record
in PEM format, and I have the signature in Base64. It was a fairly
simple exercise to map this data to the openssl command line.
However, I am not sure how to instantiate the Java objects, namely
java.security.cert.Certificate and java.security.Signature.

Any help is appreciated.

-Mike Bryant