Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ma...@synthesis.de on 2001/04/06 19:16:30 UTC

FOP and barcode

Hi,

we are generating PDF through XML/XSLT using FOP and I would like to know
if it is possible to generate barcode in the resulting PDF document.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Mathias
Mathias Rügner
synthesis GmbH
Schockenriedstrasse 8 b
70565 Stuttgart, Germany
mail: mathias.ruegner@synthesis.de
phone: +49 711 90680 0
fax: +49 711 90680 66
web: www.synthesis.de

Re: Table borders

Posted by Steven Lane <sl...@mail.fmpro.com>.
>--- Steven Lane <sl...@mail.fmpro.com> wrote:
>> ... Or should I just grit my teeth and go to the W3C standard?
>
>This is highly recommended. There seems little point in repeating
>the W3C standard in our docs. Unfortunately it isn't all implemented
>but...

I guess I shouldn't have said either-or :-> Naturally I will keep referring
to the W3C docs. I guess I was hoping wishfully for a rundown of known
issues or anomalies in FOP's handling of the pieces it does implement. I
don't know if the current bug list would be a place to start. I know how
hard it is to program and document at the same time, anyway . . .

thanks,

steve

----------
Steve Lane
Senior Project Manager
Chris Moyer Consulting, Inc.
833 West Chicago Ave Suite 203
(312) 433-2421
http://www.fmpro.com

Re: Table borders

Posted by "D. van den Bos - RJ Uhlhorn" <dv...@cistron.nl>.
Hi,

I am wondering which known table-border problems there are...
At the moment I'm trying the following:

<fo:table border-top-width="0.5pt" border-top-style="solid"
border-bottom-width="0.5pt" border-bottom-style="solid">
<fo:table-header border-bottom-width="0.5pt" border-bottom-style="solid">

No borders appear...

Is this a know problem or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks!

Greetings,
Dineke van den Bos

Re: Table borders

Posted by Denis Perchine <dy...@perchine.com>.
On Sunday 22 April 2001 16:38, D. van den Bos - RJ Uhlhorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering which known table-border problems there are...
> At the moment I'm trying the following:
>
> <fo:table border-top-width="0.5pt" border-top-style="solid"
> border-bottom-width="0.5pt" border-bottom-style="solid">
> <fo:table-header border-bottom-width="0.5pt" border-bottom-style="solid">
>
> No borders appear...
>
> Is this a know problem or am I doing something wrong ?

Try to add border-color="black"

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

Re: Table borders

Posted by Karen Lease <ka...@club-internet.fr>.
Hi,

Which version of FOP are you using? I just tried an example like this
using the latest CVS and it seems fine. If that's what you are using,
perhaps you can show us a little more of your fo file.
Attached is the one I just tested with correct results.

Regards,
Karen

Re: Table borders

Posted by "D. van den Bos - RJ Uhlhorn" <dv...@cistron.nl>.
Hi,

Re: Table borders

Posted by Steven Lane <sl...@mail.fmpro.com>.

Re: Table borders

Posted by Karen Lease <ka...@club-internet.fr>.
Hi Steven,

The current version of FOP has some known table-border problems. I'm
currently working on this and hopefully it will be better in a couple of
days. (I said that on Thursday too, but I've been installing my new
Linux PC this weekend, so I didn't get very far with FOP. But now my
compiles will go a LOT FASTER.)

However, a few hints. In the W3C CR, there are two kinds of table and
cell borders: separate and collapse. The one used is controlled by the
"border-collapse" property which you can specify on the table. The
default value is "collapse". Unfortunately, until now FOP only supports
"separate", no matter what was specified. When I commit the first batch
of changes it will still only (correcltly) support "separate", but now
you'll have to specify it!

What's the difference? In the "separate" model, each cell has its own
borders which are drawn inside the theoretical grid lines. They are
separated from the theoretical grid line by half the value of the
"border-separation" property. So if that is 0pt (the default value), and
you set a border of "1pt" on all of your cells, you should see an
effective "2pt" border between each cell. The table border will be drawn
outside the table rectangle (whose width is the sum of all the column
widths). So if you specify 1pt borders on the table too, you should get
2pt borders everywhere, including on the outermost cells.

In the collapse border, there is only one border drawn where any two
cells meet. Its thickness is determined by some complicated rules
(influenced by CSS) and also by the "border-before-precedence",
border-after-precedence, etc properties. These aren't currently
supported by FOP. I hope to do these in a second round of work, as soon
as I finish the "separate" fixes. You'll have to look at the W3C
document (chapter 6, section 7 on table FOs) for more details.

Another warning: FOP only knows how to span columns for now, not rows. I
hope to get around to that too (third stage), as long as I'm in the
table code.

Good luck,
Karen Lease

Re: Table borders

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
--- Steven Lane <sl...@mail.fmpro.com> wrote:
> ... Or should I just grit my teeth and go to the W3C standard?

This is highly recommended. There seems little point in repeating
the W3C standard in our docs. Unfortunately it isn't all implemented
but...

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Software for Complex Websites.
Publisher of http://www.DiverseBooks.com
Get Your XML T-Shirt <t-shirt/> at www.inversity.co.uk

Re: Table borders

Re: FOP and barcode

Posted by Tim Landscheidt <ti...@gmx.de>.
Mathias.Ruegner@synthesis.de wrote:

> we are generating PDF through XML/XSLT using FOP and I would like to know
> if it is possible to generate barcode in the resulting PDF document.
> Any ideas?

<URI:http://www.renderx.com/Demos/barcode/>.

Tim

Re: FOP and barcode

Posted by Eric Richardson <mi...@milagrosoft.com>.
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim wrote:

> I wrote some XSL code to create CODE-39 barcodes in SVG some time ago, these can easily be embedded in the final PDF document. Someone on this mailing list also wrote XSL to produce SVG for EAN.
> If anyone is interested I could post my code somewhere. It's not 100% clean code but it works and made our customers very happy :-)
> Using SVG to produce barcodes is in my opinion less work demanding and more "clean" than using fonts.
I'm interested!
Eric :-)

Re: FOP and barcode

Posted by Torkild Ulvøy Resheim <tr...@online.no>.
I wrote some XSL code to create CODE-39 barcodes in SVG some time ago, these can easily be embedded in the final PDF document. Someone on this mailing list also wrote XSL to produce SVG for EAN.
If anyone is interested I could post my code somewhere. It's not 100% clean code but it works and made our customers very happy :-)
Using SVG to produce barcodes is in my opinion less work demanding and more "clean" than using fonts.

Torkild U. Resheim
Emma EDB AS