Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Chris Dodson <cw...@crimson.ua.edu> on 2019/11/05 20:38:54 UTC

Guac has internal error unless logging is active?

Hi all,

I feel like I'm missing something simple here, maybe someone can help solve
this.

I've been having trouble with Guac not making any sort of connection. Login
works, home page looks good, all configs are good, but any session you try
to open, you get an internal error message. I tried running journalctl -f
to see if I could find what it was hanging up on and logging was dark. It
wasn't even logging the connection being made, almost like no activity from
guacd was occurring.

However, if I run

/usr/local/sbin/guacd -f -L debug

I get the logs just fine.

Here's the weird part. As soon as I tried to make a connection with the
debug log active, it made the connection successfully. I thought 'I made no
config changes, what gives." So, I cmd-z out of debug and my connection is
immediately cut. I then run that same command again and the connections are
working fine again.

Anybody got an idea here? It's the most bizarre thing I've seen.

Re: Guac has internal error unless logging is active?

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 12:50 PM Chris Dodson <cw...@crimson.ua.edu>
wrote:

> Well, yes I believe so. I've stopped, started, restarted the guacd service
> multiple times and it hasn't corrected the problem.

If this occurs again, I would check using "ps" or "pgrep" or similar. It
may be that the startup script is not working correctly, or that there is a
problem with the systemd unit.

> But as soon as I ran that command, it's working.

The behavior you're seeing definitely cannot be caused by logging. I would
move forward under the assumption that the correlation you're seeing with
debug vs. no debug is coincidental, and that the true cause has to do with
some other difference between how things are started by systemd vs.
manually on the command line.

Here is the output from service guacd status
> Nov 05 14:31:29 GUACAMOLE guacd[2037]: Guacamole proxy darmon (guacd)
> version 0.9.9 started

Not the cause of the issue, but you should consider upgrading. Version
0.9.9 is extremely old.

- Mike

Re: Guac has internal error unless logging is active?

Posted by Chris Dodson <cw...@crimson.ua.edu>.
Well, yes I believe so. I've stopped, started, restarted the guacd service
multiple times and it hasn't corrected the problem. But as soon as I ran
that command, it's working.

Here is the output from service guacd status

guacd.service - Guacamole Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/guacd.service; enabled; vendor preset;
enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Tue 2019-11-05 14:31:29 CST; 12min ago
Process: 2037 ExecStart=/user/local/sbin/guacd (code=excited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2037 (code=excited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 05 14:31:29 GUACAMOLE systemd[1]: Stopped Guacamole Daemon.
Nov 05 14:31:29 GUACAMOLE systemd[1]: Started Guacamole Daemon.
Nov 05 14:31:29 GUACAMOLE guacd[2037]: Guacamole proxy darmon (guacd)
version 0.9.9 started
Nov 05 14:31:29 GUACAMOLE guacd[2037]: guacd[2037]: INFO:
Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd)
Chris Dodson

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.