Posted to general@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2011/05/02 15:23:11 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.8.1.2 released

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.8.1.2.

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
work with.

Derby 10.8.1.2 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

    http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Derby 10.8.1.2 contains the following new features:

     * JDBC 4.1 - Derby's JDBC drivers support the new Java 7 methods on
the java.sql and javax.sql  interfaces.
     * Automatic calculation of index statistics - Derby automatically
refreshes statistics to help it pick better query plans.
     * Improved interrupt handling - Interrupting connection threads no
longer crashes the Derby engine.
     * MAX optimization - On indexed tables, MAX queries run faster in
more cases.
     * XML operator portability - The xmlparse and xmlserialize
operators work out-of-the-box on more platforms.

In addition, Derby 10.8.1.2 contains many bug and documentation fixes.

Please try out this new release.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.8.1.2 released

Posted by "dev@xx" <de...@proxiflex.fr>.
Pay attention to Note 4965 about change to conversion from BOOLEAN to CHAR
!!

If you use setBoolean() or setObject() with a CHAR(1) datatype you must
change your code and use setInt() or Derby will try to store "true" or
"false" strings.

I never undertsand why we need to accept "breaking code" releases...

It should have been possible to keep compatibility with an extra parameter
for those of us who care more about stability than "JDBC compliance".

May be we could conclude that setBoolean is finally useless...

JY