Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by name name2 <an...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/06 16:32:18 UTC

Two questions

Hello

I want to migrate NB to gradle and jdk 17. Is it possible or some customers
hardlocking version at 1.8 and ant tool?

Re: Two questions

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear name,

That's a pretty ambitious plan. You are free to do that, though if you
would like to contribute that work back, you need to have the support of
the Apache NetBeans Project Management Committee.

NetBeans is officially built on JDK11. As the platform is used several
places we keep that part on Java 8 compatibility.
It is also possible to Build NetBeans on Java 17, 18 and after a Gradle
upgrade on Java 19 as well.

Migrating NetBeans build system to Gradle is a hard and non-trivial task,
yet a noble effort. A few years back I was able to compile all the Platform
with Gradle, however, the tests failed at the introduction of the first
OSGI module.

Good luck with your efforts, and report back your progress!