Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2006/12/19 10:26:20 UTC

Release plan

I have added a short page on a release plan to the Wiki.  I'm sure this
isn't the final word, and we'll keep refining it as we go.

Given this is our first release in the Incubator, and from what I've
been observing on general@incubator.a.o, I think we should calculate
about 2 weeks for the voting process.  It would be quite amazing if we
could get it right the first time.

I guess we want about 2 weeks of testing, doc review etc. before that.
So this would mean we enter the test phase around the middle of January.
  So here's a tentative schedule:

now - 1/21/07:    coding, general enhancements
1/22/07 - 2/4/07: testing & bug fixing
2/5/07:           cut the release, start the vote
2/15/07:          release UIMA 2.1

Let me know what you think.  I'll add this to the Wiki once we have
agreement on the dev list.

--Thilo

Re: Release plan

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> I'm a little less sure about the plan (on the Wiki) to have a minor
> release (2.2, 2.3) about every 3 months, without knowing what
> enhancements we want to get in.  I could see releasing something about
> every 3 months, if in some cases it would just be a maintenance
> release (e.g., 2.1.1).
>
> -Adam

Good point.  I'll reword.

--Thilo

Re: Release plan

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 12/19/06, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> now - 1/21/07:    coding, general enhancements
> 1/22/07 - 2/4/07: testing & bug fixing
> 2/5/07:           cut the release, start the vote
> 2/15/07:          release UIMA 2.1

+1 to this schedule.

Re: Release plan

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 12/19/06, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> I guess we want about 2 weeks of testing, doc review etc. before that.
> So this would mean we enter the test phase around the middle of January.
>   So here's a tentative schedule:
>
> now - 1/21/07:    coding, general enhancements
> 1/22/07 - 2/4/07: testing & bug fixing
> 2/5/07:           cut the release, start the vote
> 2/15/07:          release UIMA 2.1
>
> Let me know what you think.  I'll add this to the Wiki once we have
> agreement on the dev list.

I'm assuming we're still on this release plan, though I think it
didn't make it to the Wiki.  That means done with coding at the end of
next week!

At this point there's an assignee for each issue that's associated
with v2.1 in JIRA.  Please make sure you know what's assigned to you,
and if it can't be done in time, let the rest of us know.

-Adam

Re: Release plan

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>> What testing beyond the unit tests will we do for this release?
>>
>> Here are some items to consider:
>>
>> 1) "test" that all the Jira changes that would affect the documentation
>> have had the documentation updated
>> 2) "Functional" testing, Installation verification testing (I think we
>> need a detailed list - how about a release test plan on the wiki?)
>>
>>     Multi-platform testing (Win, *nix)
>>

> Well for starters, I think it will be useful to for everyone to take
> some existing UIMA components they have available to them, try to run
> the migration script and follow the instructions i wrote in the
> manual, and try to those components in Apache UIMA.

+1  -Marshall

Re: Release plan

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Re: Release plan

Re: Release plan

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> +1 from me, too.  I would include running "RAT" as part of the process.
> http://code.google.com/p/arat/
>
> -Marshall

Absolutely.  My plan is to get UIMA RAT-ready till the end of the year,
or at least have a very clear idea what issues remain.  I expect that
most people will take some time off between now and January, so I may
accumulate a few things that I don't feel comfortable fixing myself.

--Thilo

Re: Release plan

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Release plan

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> I have added a short page on a release plan to the Wiki.  I'm sure
> this isn't the final word, and we'll keep refining it as we go.
>
> Given this is our first release in the Incubator, and from what I've
> been observing on general@incubator.a.o, I think we should calculate
> about 2 weeks for the voting process.  It would be quite amazing if we
> could get it right the first time.
>
> I guess we want about 2 weeks of testing, doc review etc. before that.
> So this would mean we enter the test phase around the middle of
> January.  So here's a tentative schedule:
>
> now - 1/21/07:    coding, general enhancements
> 1/22/07 - 2/4/07: testing & bug fixing
> 2/5/07:           cut the release, start the vote
> 2/15/07:          release UIMA 2.1
>
> Let me know what you think.  I'll add this to the Wiki once we have
> agreement on the dev list.
>
> --Thilo

+1

Fine with me.