Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2001/06/14 06:52:39 UTC

Re: [Patch] Apache->dso_module()

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Philippe M . Chiasson wrote:

> I know I posted this patch a while ago, but I am looking thru a few patches
> I have and I thought I might re-post this one along with the rest
>
> This module allows one to do
>
> Apache->dso_module('module_name.c') and it will be true only of the
> module in question is present and has been loaded as DSO.
>
> Used to be usefull to me when attempting to work around <Perl> directives
> and mod_perl as DSO/not-DSO (now fixed).
>
> But I figured it could be usefull to others.

any examples you can think of?  in any case, it would be better to have
Apache->module('mod_foo.so') provide this functionality rather than add a
new method.

Re: [Patch] Apache->dso_module()

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Philippe M . Chiasson wrote:

> In my case, I used it to work around the strange mod_perl behaviour
> under DSO (fixed in CVS)

right, so that is no longer needed.  any other examples?  i hesitate on
adding the feature because anything that needs to be conditional based on
mod_perl being a dso probably means that there is a bug in mod_perl that
should be fixed instead.

> Sure, only question, is the .so extension generic enough ? How about on
> Win platforms ?

win32 recently started using .so for all apache dso modules.

Re: [Patch] Apache->dso_module()

Posted by "Philippe M . Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:52:39PM -0700, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Philippe M . Chiasson wrote:
>
> > I know I posted this patch a while ago, but I am looking thru a few patches
> > I have and I thought I might re-post this one along with the rest
> >
> > This module allows one to do
> >
> > Apache->dso_module('module_name.c') and it will be true only of the
> > module in question is present and has been loaded as DSO.
> >
> > Used to be usefull to me when attempting to work around <Perl> directives
> > and mod_perl as DSO/not-DSO (now fixed).
> >
> > But I figured it could be usefull to others.
>
> any examples you can think of?

In my case, I used it to work around the strange mod_perl behaviour under DSO (fixed in CVS)
> in any case, it would be better to have
> Apache->module('mod_foo.so') provide this functionality rather than add a
> new method.

Sure, only question, is the .so extension generic enough ? How about on Win platforms ?

Let me know and I'll re-patch

| Philippe M. Chiasson  <go...@cpan.org>        |
| SmartWorker http://www.smartworker.org        |
|     IM : gozerhbe  ICQ : gozer/99685021       |
|   64.8% computer corrupt according to         |
| http://www.freespeech.org/ljk/purity.html     |
That's about as funny as muppet Norwegian.
	-- Larry Wall

perl -e '$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P26,pack(L,$$));/^Just Another Perl Hacker!\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'