Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/31 13:16:17 UTC

clarification on system properties

If I set a system property in all the following places, which one will take
precedence and what is the order:

-- on the command line
$ ./bin/openejb start "-Dopenejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/{ejbName}"

-- in the openejb-jar.xml
<openejb-jar>
  <properties>
     openejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/{ejbName}

  </properties>
</openejb-jar>

-- in conf/system.properties

openejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/{ejbName}

-- via the InitialContext properties when embedded.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: clarification on system properties

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 31, 2008, at 4:16 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> If I set a system property in all the following places, which one
> will take
> precedence and what is the order:
>
> -- on the command line
> $ ./bin/openejb start "-Dopenejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/
> {ejbName}"
>
> -- in the openejb-jar.xml
> <openejb-jar>
>  <properties>
>     openejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/{ejbName}
>
>  </properties>
> </openejb-jar>
>
> -- in conf/system.properties
>
> openejb.deploymentId.format = {moduleId}/{ejbName}
>
> -- via the InitialContext properties when embedded.

For the  an embedded testing scenario:

  1. openejb-jar properties
  2. initial context properties
  3. System.getProperties()

For standalone:

  1. openejb-jar properties
  2. command line properties
  3. conf/system.properties
  4. System.getProperties()

The caveat is that i think only some properties are supported as
openejb-jar properties.  Looks like the following are supported:
  - openejb.descriptors.output
  - openejb.deploymentId.format
  - openejb.jndiname.strategy.class
  - openejb.jndiname.format