Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/08/08 02:21:31 UTC

[VOTE] Name change

Hello all,

For several reasons to follow I think we should change the name of this
project/podling to something other than Oscar.  Right now I have no
recommendations for a name and this is not as important as agreeing to
change the name.  Whatever the present day Oscar incubator podling is
renamed to is fine by me as long as the name used is not Oscar and does
not impose any trademark infringement issues.  This vote is to confirm
that we are all in agreement with this position.   My reasons for the
name change are:

1. The name Oscar misrepresents our goal of building a unified OSGi
effort here where other communities involved with OSGi, such as
Knopplerfish and the Eclipse Runtime Project, are welcome to
participate.  The initial code base is coming from Oscar but this might
change if other communities decide to donate code as well.  We would
like to pick a neutral name for the project so those communities
understand our intentions.  They should be free to donate code without a
bias towards Oscar.

2. Some have misinterpreted the new Oscar podling as a move of Oscar 1.0
from ObjectWeb to Apache.  This is not the case and officers from both
ObjectWeb and Apache have been contacted on this matter.  ObjectWeb
unofficially has approved the use of the name Oscar for the Oscar 2.0
code being donated to the ASF.  Regardless there is no reason why there
should be any confusion at all.  It is in our and ObjectWeb's best
interest to change the name to something else.

3. Oscar is pretty well known as a OSGi container however it is not that
easy for a novice to read the name and understand what the software is
generally about.  A descriptive name may lead to better search engine
lookups and give users a more intuitive name to follow up on.

NOTE: Binding votes are those votes coming from PPMC members and from
Incubator PMC members.  If there is any question at all here's a list of
the PPMC membership: akarasulu, bloritsch, cziegeler, erodriguez, noel,
sylvain, trustin, tbennet, rickhall.

[X] +1 Change the name to something else.
[  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
[  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

I have already cast my +1.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Change the name to something else.
[  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
[  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

Enrique

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Good reasons all. A non-binding +1 here too.

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

-> richard

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by ESCOFFIER Clément <cl...@imag.fr>.
+1

Clement

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
> [] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [ X ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

-Bertrand, wondering if a non-binding +0 makes much difference, but
anyway ;-)

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
non-binding:

> [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> 3. Oscar is pretty well known as a OSGi container however it is not
>> that easy for a novice to read the name and understand what the
>> software is generally about.  A descriptive name may lead to better
>> search engine lookups and give users a more intuitive name to follow
>> up on.
>

> Did you meant "distinctive" rater than "descriptive"? The "Felix"
> proposal makes me think so. A distinctive name is good to build a
> brand, such as Tomcat, Struts, Cocoon, Xalan, etc, whereas a
> descriptive name usually is more verbose and leads people to use
> obscure acronyms (this is a lesson I learned at Eclipse).

Yes that does sound much better you are right.  Distinctive names are
much better.  Hence this further supports the use of something like
Felix over Apache Java Runtime or something like that.

Alex

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> 3. Oscar is pretty well known as a OSGi container however it is not
> that easy for a novice to read the name and understand what the
> software is generally about.  A descriptive name may lead to better
> search engine lookups and give users a more intuitive name to follow
> up on.

Did you meant "distinctive" rater than "descriptive"? The "Felix"
proposal makes me think so. A distinctive name is good to build a brand,
such as Tomcat, Struts, Cocoon, Xalan, etc, whereas a descriptive name
usually is more verbose and leads people to use obscure acronyms (this
is a lesson I learned at Eclipse).

> [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

Sylvain

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Alex Karasulu wrote:

> NOTE: Binding votes are those votes coming from PPMC members and from
> Incubator PMC members.  If there is any question at all here's a list
> of the PPMC membership: akarasulu, bloritsch, cziegeler, erodriguez,
> noel, sylvain, trustin, tbennet, rickhall.
>

> [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.
>
> I have already cast my +1.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Non-binding +1
Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
> [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

+1

Upayavira

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Tom <ec...@gatewide.com>.
+1

Tom Enderes

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/7/05, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
> [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
> [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

+1

--
  jaaron

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
[X] +1 Change the name to something else.
[  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
[  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

Didier

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
[X] +1 Change the name to something else.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 08 August 2005 08:21, Alex Karasulu wrote:

A non-binding;

 [X] +1 Change the name to something else.
 [  ]   0 Does not matter to me either way.
 [  ]  -1 Do not change the name.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
It's been a good 72 hours since this vote has been kicked off.  Time to
close and count the votes.  This is what I have:

+1 to change the name
--------------------------------------
Alex Karasulu
Ralph Goers
Enrique Rodriguez
Richard Hall
Tom  Enderes
Niclas Hedhman
Brett Porter
Alan D. Cabrera
Sylvain Wallez
Carsten Ziegeler
Peter Neubauer
Marcel Offermans
Didier Donsez
Upayavira
Escoffier Clement
J Aaron Farr
Timothy Bennett
Reinhard Poetz

0 neutral
Bertrand Delacretaz

Of these +1s I think about 10 are binding.  Regardless of the exact
count this is not a close call by any means.  I will lookup the name
recommendations and post them on another vote for this project's new name.

Thanks again for participating!
Alex

Re: [VOTE] Name change

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.