Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Raffael Herzog <he...@raffael.ch> on 2009/04/17 13:55:09 UTC

The Attic and Beyond

Hi all

So, now it's official: HiveMind's development at Apache has stopped. Time to
move on and start over. ;)

For me, one thing is clear: I will branch HiveMind, one way or the other.
The question for me is: Which way?

As some of you may know, I'm developing and using HiveApp, an extension to
HiveMind which adds a VFS, ClassLoader management, built-in JMX support and
some useful services. There are many applications based on it in production
(and there will be many more) and its development continues, although it's
currently a one-man-show (everything's open though, and anyone is free to
join: http://hiveapp.raffael.ch/).

So, from this point of view, the obvious thing to do is to take HiveMind's
source code, integrate it into HiveApp's source tree, and just continue
like that.

However, now's the time to look further. ;) HiveMind, as it is now, is good,
but it's gotten a bit outdated, and development as officially stalled. I've
got many ideas what to do with HiveMind (you can find some of them in
HiveApp) and I'm sure, there are more people with ideas. This is the time
to progressively move forward, because there won't be any HiveMind 1.2 or
2.0 anymore. But there may be a HiveSomethingElse 0.1.

The question is: If you had commit rights for HiveMind's source code
tomorrow, would you start contributing?

The idea is to branch HiveMind at OPS4J (http://www.ops4j.org/). OPS4J
stands for "Open Participation Software for Java", a relatively young and
active FOSS community. "Open Participation" means basically Wiki brought to
coding. Anyone can start contributing: Just register yourself, and you've
immediately got commit access to all of OPS4J's SVN. At OPS4J, if you find
a bug, you don't submit a patch which fixes it and wait for a committer to
apply your patch. At OPS4J, you commit the fix yourself. OPS4J provides all
the infrastructure one needs: Version control (SVN), bug tracking (JIRA),
Wiki (Confluence), CI (Bamboo), mailing lists, web space ...

Introduction to OPS4J: http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/ops4j/Introduction

I think, this community might be just the right thing to kickstart
HiveMind's development. I've already talked to some people at OPS4J about
it, they'd happily welcome the HiveMind community.

However, the question remains: Are there people who would actually
contribute?

What do you think?

Cheers,
   Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
no difference, but in practice, there is.

herzog@raffael.ch · Jabber: herzog@raffael.ch
PGP Key 0x5FFDB5DB5D1FF5F4 · http://keyserver.pgp.com

Re: The Attic and Beyond

Posted by Jochen Zimmermann <ze...@gmx.de>.
I'm interested too :-)

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

Raffael Herzog wrote:
> Hi all
>
> So, now it's official: HiveMind's development at Apache has stopped. Time to
> move on and start over. ;)
>
> For me, one thing is clear: I will branch HiveMind, one way or the other.
> The question for me is: Which way?
>
> As some of you may know, I'm developing and using HiveApp, an extension to
> HiveMind which adds a VFS, ClassLoader management, built-in JMX support and
> some useful services. There are many applications based on it in production
> (and there will be many more) and its development continues, although it's
> currently a one-man-show (everything's open though, and anyone is free to
> join: http://hiveapp.raffael.ch/).
>
> So, from this point of view, the obvious thing to do is to take HiveMind's
> source code, integrate it into HiveApp's source tree, and just continue
> like that.
>
> However, now's the time to look further. ;) HiveMind, as it is now, is good,
> but it's gotten a bit outdated, and development as officially stalled. I've
> got many ideas what to do with HiveMind (you can find some of them in
> HiveApp) and I'm sure, there are more people with ideas. This is the time
> to progressively move forward, because there won't be any HiveMind 1.2 or
> 2.0 anymore. But there may be a HiveSomethingElse 0.1.
>
> The question is: If you had commit rights for HiveMind's source code
> tomorrow, would you start contributing?
>
> The idea is to branch HiveMind at OPS4J (http://www.ops4j.org/). OPS4J
> stands for "Open Participation Software for Java", a relatively young and
> active FOSS community. "Open Participation" means basically Wiki brought to
> coding. Anyone can start contributing: Just register yourself, and you've
> immediately got commit access to all of OPS4J's SVN. At OPS4J, if you find
> a bug, you don't submit a patch which fixes it and wait for a committer to
> apply your patch. At OPS4J, you commit the fix yourself. OPS4J provides all
> the infrastructure one needs: Version control (SVN), bug tracking (JIRA),
> Wiki (Confluence), CI (Bamboo), mailing lists, web space ...
>
> Introduction to OPS4J: http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/ops4j/Introduction
>
> I think, this community might be just the right thing to kickstart
> HiveMind's development. I've already talked to some people at OPS4J about
> it, they'd happily welcome the HiveMind community.
>
> However, the question remains: Are there people who would actually
> contribute?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>    Raffi