Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Jayakumar.V" <ja...@uaeexchange.com> on 2005/09/18 12:57:34 UTC

Issue with sounds-like queries

Hi,

I'm facing an issue with sounds-like queries. I've experimented with both
Apache Codec & the Phonetix library from Tangentum Technologies
(http://www.tangentum.biz/en/products/phonetix/faqs/index.html ) to see if I
could sort out the issue somehow using either of the libraries.

I've an index containing details of various Banks in the world & their
associated Branches.

Each document has a field holding the Branch Name(s) for the individual
Bank(s).

While searching for the following branch name :-  QUILON, it also returns
back details where the branch name may contain the word COLONY, since using
Metaphone or DoubleMetaphone, both QUILON & COLONY get encoded to the same
value :-  KLN.

This returns in-correct results.

Another example would be CALICUT (located in South India) & CALCUTTA
(located in North India), both get encoded to KLKT.

I can narrow down the result by filtering based on COUNTRY or COUNTRY +
STATE but still I might get back results which may not be the one intended.

I also tried using the RefinedSoundex class. The issue here is that, "QUILON
BRANCH" will get encoded as - Q50708190830, whereas "QUILON" alone will get
encoded as - Q50708. The user may input only "QUILON" while making a search
which will not return back hits in the above case.

Hope I was clear in communicating the issue.

Any thoughts / inputs will be really helpful.

Thanks & Regards

Jayakumar.V

UAE Xchange Center

PB.No. : 170, Abudhabi, UAE

Phone: + 971-2-6105656, 6105658

Fax: +971-2-6323775

  _____

Confidentiality Notice :  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.

  _____