Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Michael Delamere <md...@morelogs.de> on 2002/11/26 10:44:32 UTC

SGML to HTML

Hi,

I´m a complete newbie when it comes to SGML or even XSLT
transformations!  I have searched google and haven’t really been able to
find what I am looking for.

* Is converting SGML to HTML the same as converting XML to HTML?

* Can Xalan do this?

* Is there something I need to consider when converting from SGML to
HTML?

I would really appreciate any answers that will help me understand the
process better.

Regards,

Michael

Re: SGML to HTML

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
XML originated as a subset of SGML. An XML parser can not handle full SGML
markup.

But it's not entirely impossible. *If* you can find an SGML parser which
presents the SGML document as DOM objects or a SAX stream, or build an
adapter which lets it do so, you could feed that into Xalan.
It's been a long time since I looked at SGML parsers.  I don't know of one
offhand which supports SAX or DOM directly, but it may exist. Best advice
I can give you is that it's time to do some web-searching, I guess. Let us
know if you find one that looks good.

The other solution is to find one of the SGML-based processing tools and
configure it to convert the SGML into some appropriate XML form, then feed
that XML into Xalan for final styling. Or do the whole conversion in an
SGML styling tool.

Good luck!

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research