Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de> on 2014/03/24 11:18:36 UTC

German authorities want to improve AOO - LibO

Hi,

is someone from Germany observing this?
<http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html>

Best regards

Rainer

Re: German authorities want to improve AOO - LibO

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/14 11:18 AM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is someone from Germany observing this?
> <http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html>

sure, I joined the workshop last year and provided input for the spec.
But not all my input was consumed. Nevertheless it is a good thing and I
hope that enough developers/companies can give quote.

Juergen

Re: German authorities want to improve AOO - LibO

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/25/14 2:58 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> > Hi,

> http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html

> German) Open Source Business Alliance, Peter G. Sounded great… but the
> emphasis for him was on LibreOffice.

> >> I can't remember a person Peter G. but I participated in the workshop
> >> (as reported last year) and helped with the spec and use cases. The
> >> project in general is a very good idea and I hope that they get many
> >> quotes from interested developers, companies, ...
> >> Nevertheless is the spec not detailed enough from my perspective and I
> >> have reported my feedback but it is not directly reflected. Only some
> >> use-cases are dropped because no detail information was provided or it
> >> is already implemented in AOO and can be consumed by LO (probably
> >> already is consumed).
> >>
> >> The first project was sub-optimal regarding the excat definition of how
> >> the work have to be delivered. In the end the patches were at least
> >> under ALv2 as well but we were not able to integrate them easy
> >> (incomplete or not applicable) and not all patches are integrated. Keep
> >> in mind that this work means man power and the work was already paid.
> >> Even the implementation was not complete and we have done much more than
> >> only tweaking the available patch.
> >>
> >> Nevertheless have we worked on a better definition of how the work have
> >> to be delivered in this new project to ensure that both AOO and LO
> >> benefit from the improvements. Well LO benefits anyway from the work we
> >> do for AOO but that is of course a different story.
> >>
> >> Juergen
> >
> > As it happens, Peter Ganten just replied to my post to him of yesterday.
> He told me that Matthias Stürmer is more relevant here. "Matthias is the
> speaker of the working
> > group "office interoperability" of the OSB Alliance," Peter wrote. I
> asked Peter to put Matthias in contact with Juergen and informed Peter that
> we are discussing OSBA's interest here on our dev@ list.
> >
> > I remain open to the possibilities. I'm perhaps more optimistic for
> longterm outcomes, though do not dismiss this one at all, as this funded
> opportunity may lead to more substantial ones later, or at least greater
> visibility of some of the rather useful advantages of having open standards
> and open source developed locally (but with global effects).
> >

> maybe I was not clear enough, I am working already in this group and am
> in contact with Mathias.
>
> Juergen

Great! This is a wonderful opportunity for more widespread use of Apache
OpenOffice.

> > -louis

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Re: German authorities want to improve AOO - LibO

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On 2014-03-24, at 06:18, Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is someone from Germany observing this?
>> <http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html>
>>
> I had a discussion on improving OO with the lead of the (mostly German) Open Source Business Alliance, Peter G. Sounded great… but the emphasis for him was on LibreOffice.
>
> Not AOO.

The English press release is here:

http://www.osb-alliance.de/en/working-groups/projekte/major-features-in-loaoo/

That links to a PDF where they describe the requirements.  On page 5 it says:

"The code implementing the use cases must be delivered to OSBA in two
versions: one suitable for
LibreOffice integration, one suitable for Apache OpenOffice
integration. That means each version of the
code changes must be developed, rebased and tested against a commit of
the respective project that
is not older than 60 days at the time of the delivery."

And then later on that page:

"The contractor must publish the software source code developed for
this project under license suitable
for integration in the respective projects, ideally dual licensed
Apache License Version 2.0, and Mozilla
Public License Version 2.0. The contractor may choose to publish under
Apache License Version 2.0
only."

So it looks like regardless of who bids and wins, the results will be
available for AOO to use as well.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
On 2014-03-24, at 06:18, Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is someone from Germany observing this?
> <http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html>

I had a discussion on improving OO with the lead of the (mostly German) Open Source Business Alliance, Peter G. Sounded great… but the emphasis for him was on LibreOffice.

Not AOO.

> Best regards
>

> Rainer

-louis

Re: German authorities want to improve AOO - LibO

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
On 2014-03-24, at 06:18, Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is someone from Germany observing this?
> <http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Behoerden-wollen-Libre-OpenOffice-verbessern-2152858.html>

I had a discussion on improving OO with the lead of the (mostly German) Open Source Business Alliance, Peter G. Sounded great… but the emphasis for him was on LibreOffice.

Not AOO.

> Best regards
>

> Rainer

-louis