Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bernmeister <th...@hotmail.com> on 2009/03/15 14:12:50 UTC

FOP Default Fonts

Hi,

>From the FOP documentation, I know there are the Base-14 Fonts which are
available for PDF output.  Is there a way in Java to get this list of fonts
(font-family, font-weight & font-style)?  I've scoured through the FOP
Javadoc but can't seem to locate any method such as 'String[]
getAvailableFontNames()'.

I want to have a print options dialog in my application and would like it to
dynamically show available fonts from FOP rather than hard-coding a list.

Thanks in advance,

Bernmeister.

Re: FOP Default Fonts

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Bernmeister wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>>From the FOP documentation, I know there are the Base-14 Fonts which are
> available for PDF output.  Is there a way in Java to get this list of fonts
> (font-family, font-weight & font-style)?  I've scoured through the FOP
> Javadoc but can't seem to locate any method such as 'String[]
> getAvailableFontNames()'.
>
> I want to have a print options dialog in my application and would like it to
> dynamically show available fonts from FOP rather than hard-coding a list.

I don't think there is a method on FOP or Java that you can call to get
a list of the Base 14 Fonts. Base 14 Fonts are an Adobe concept not a
Java or FOP specific thing.

My advice is to hard code the list, as they don't change:

Times
Times Bold
Times Italic
Times Bold Italic
Helvetica
Helvetica Bold
Helvetica Italic
Helvetica Bold Italic
Courier
Courier Bold
Courier Italic
Courier Bold Italic
Symbol
ZapfDingbats

Chris

Re: FOP Default Fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I've just finished cleaning up the code and transformed it into an
easy-to-use command-line tool. I've also refactored it so you can easily
use the font list generation from your Java code (check out the
FontListGenerator class).

See here:

On 19.03.2009 11:35:52 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> As Chris already noted, there's currently no such simple method to do
> this. But I have some code locally that does something similar
> (generating a PDF with all the configured fonts). But I have to clean up
> the code before I can publish it. I hope I have time for this during the
> weekend.
>
> On 15.03.2009 14:12:50 Bernmeister wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > From the FOP documentation, I know there are the Base-14 Fonts which are
> > available for PDF output.  Is there a way in Java to get this list of fonts
> > (font-family, font-weight & font-style)?  I've scoured through the FOP
> > Javadoc but can't seem to locate any method such as 'String[]
> > getAvailableFontNames()'.
> >
> > I want to have a print options dialog in my application and would like it to
> > dynamically show available fonts from FOP rather than hard-coding a list.
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Bernmeister.
> > --
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP Default Fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
As Chris already noted, there's currently no such simple method to do
this. But I have some code locally that does something similar
(generating a PDF with all the configured fonts). But I have to clean up
the code before I can publish it. I hope I have time for this during the
weekend.

On 15.03.2009 14:12:50 Bernmeister wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the FOP documentation, I know there are the Base-14 Fonts which are
> available for PDF output.  Is there a way in Java to get this list of fonts
> (font-family, font-weight & font-style)?  I've scoured through the FOP
> Javadoc but can't seem to locate any method such as 'String[]
> getAvailableFontNames()'.
>
> I want to have a print options dialog in my application and would like it to
> dynamically show available fonts from FOP rather than hard-coding a list.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bernmeister.

Jeremias Maerki