Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "Peter Wicks (pwicks)" <pw...@micron.com> on 2019/07/24 13:18:02 UTC

RE: [EXT] Re: FlowFile Expiration - Lineage vs Queue Times

Thanks for the input Mark, I can definitely see that being valuable.  That leads to some new ideas.

We could have an, "Expiration Strategy" drop down.  Options might be:

 - Lineage Expiration (default, keeps backwards compat.)
 - Queue Expiration
 - Back Pressure + Queue Expiration (which would follow the rules Mark described).

As for the order, I'm not confident I remember how it works right now.

Thanks,
  Peter

Posted by Brian Ghigiarelli <br...@gmail.com>.
To add to the back pressure management options, we wrote a custom
"RouteOnBackPressure" processor [1] that would allow us to re-route the
incoming flow after outgoing queues hit their backpressure thresholds. The
processor itself doesn't handle anything with expiration (though output
queues could), and requires our third-party NAR bundle [2], but it works
well for handling surges.

[1]
https://github.com/Asymmetrik/nifi-nar-bundles/blob/develop/nifi-asymmetrik-standard-bundle/nifi-asymmetrik-standard-processors/src/main/java/com/asymmetrik/nifi/processors/RouteOnBackPressure.java
[2] https://github.com/Asymmetrik/nifi-nar-bundles