Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2017/06/01 17:54:08 UTC

Re: NetCAT registration requires login to non-Apache services

Wade,

    yes, some dated version of Synergy sources are in the NetBeans SVN
repository but I have asked Lada to remove sensitive/private data from
his local version and commit it to our repository. Publishing on GitHub
is unfortunately not an option due to Oracle ownership and hence
licensing issues.

Thanks,
-Jirka

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Jun 1, 2017 4:02 PM, "Raphael Bircher" <rb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Wade,

Am .06.2017, 21:24 Uhr, schrieb Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>:

So when everything is full on at Apache, how can this be managed,
> installed, changes applied etc? Where will the application project of
> Synergy live that makes it able to be used by the Apache organization or
> anyone else for that matter? The NeBeans domain will be Apache's if we are
> successful here.

There are tree possibilities.

1) Ask infra for a VM you can setup your tool there, and you can have a
subdomain for this tool. But you have to maintain the VM yourself.
OpenOffice got this for example for the PHPBB Forum and the MediaWiki
instance.

2) Find other projects on Apache who are interested in such a tool.
(OpenOffice might have interest too, I have to ask on the ML) And it could
be rolled out as an Apache wide service. This was the case for Pootle
(Translating service) as OpenOffice joined the ASF.

3) Use it as an outside service. But this contains the risk that the
service could be shut down if Oracle would left someday. Maybe not what you
want.

I guess my bigger point was around licensing and use. At the moment this is
in a repo only accessible under the netbeans domain if I understood
correctly, and run on Oracle infra, so where will it live as a
project/product which we can even access to install and setup. It seems
there are some licensing concerns/issues from the Oracle side, and I
imagine that would translate into issues for running it at the ASF too. How
do we have rights to do that if it isn't actually open sourced Jirka and Gj?

Thanks

Wade

Re: NetCAT registration requires login to non-Apache services

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wade,

Am .06.2017, 21:24 Uhr, schrieb Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>:

> So when everything is full on at Apache, how can this be managed,
> installed, changes applied etc? Where will the application project of
> Synergy live that makes it able to be used by the Apache organization or
> anyone else for that matter? The NeBeans domain will be Apache's if we
> are successful here.

There are tree possibilities.

1) Ask infra for a VM you can setup your tool there, and you can have a
subdomain for this tool. But you have to maintain the VM yourself.
OpenOffice got this for example for the PHPBB Forum and the MediaWiki
instance.

2) Find other projects on Apache who are interested in such a tool.
(OpenOffice might have interest too, I have to ask on the ML) And it could
be rolled out as an Apache wide service. This was the case for Pootle
(Translating service) as OpenOffice joined the ASF.

3) Use it as an outside service. But this contains the risk that the
service could be shut down if Oracle would left someday. Maybe not what
you want.

Regards, Raphael

Re: NetCAT registration requires login to non-Apache services

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.