Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/05 10:08:01 UTC

License/Notice/Disclaimer file location in tree and modifcations of License headers in contributed files

Hi,

we maintain some plugins at the podling Apache OpenMeetings for
various 3th party applications.
Those plugins have a fixed folder structure where the actual module is
sometimes nested in the structure.
Do we always need to put the files LICENSE, DISCLAIMER, NOTES,
CHANGELOG, README in the root dir of the source and binary packages?
For example:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/drupal/
There is just a build.xml in the root, the actual "module dir" (those
files that will be imported and copied by Drupals plugin installation
hook) are situated at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openmeetings/trunk/plugins/drupal/sites/all/modules/openmeetings/

I could not find any strict rule for the place of LICENSE, et cetera
files in the docs. However is there any?

Modifications of License headers:
Additionally we did receive some contributed files at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-280
The OCAD team contributed the files to the ASF so that our student/we
can distribute this plugin at the Apache Foundation.
However those source files already contained a license header.
Can we just replace that license header with an Apache License header
and put a note in the Readme to give some credits to the initial
contributors or?

Thanks!
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: License/Notice/Disclaimer file location in tree and modifcations of License headers in contributed files

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:32 PM, seba.wagner@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Kevan,
>
> in Jira there is a special checkbox when you attach files "Grant rights of
> files to the ASF". From what I understood that is sufficient if the author
> of the code contributes to the ASF.
>
> However as our mentors on the dev list have clarified it is not.
> I will contact OCAD and ask them if they can file an CCLA.

OK. I would also expect some clarification on how OCAD owns the copyright for those files (which would be needed for them to relicense the files). Apologies for not scanning your mailing list, etc. -- perhaps this has already been done.

--kevan

Re: License/Notice/Disclaimer file location in tree and modifcations of License headers in contributed files

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevan,

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.