Posted to dev@helix.apache.org by Ayola Jayamaha <ay...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/26 12:31:18 UTC

GSOC Proposal for the dashboard for Apache Helix

Hi,

I'm Ayola Jayamaha from Sri Lanka. I'm a final year undergraduate student
at the University of Moratuwa Computer Science & Engineering Department. I
have sat for my exams and I'm waiting for results.

When going through the GSOC Projects the project of a Dashboard for Apache
Helix caught my eyes. So I submitted a proposal for this project.I'm
attaching my proposal  with this email and hope you would consider it
favorably for gsoc 2014.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,
Ayola Jayamaha

RE: GSOC Proposal for the dashboard for Apache Helix

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
I don't believe Madhuka was able to submit a formal proposal on melange (Ayola's was the only one I found). I believe he said he could work on it, but that he's ineligible to participate in the GSoC program.

Kanak

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayola Jayamaha <ay...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kanak,

Thanks for the reply. I will go through them and let you know.

I will draw a UI (mock-up) for dashboard with mainly looking on viewer that
present a current snapshot of the cluster in terms of Helix concepts. (with
view data/details over cluster)
UI elements for admin operations (the operations exposed by HelixAdmin,
ClusterSetup, and the REST API) where users can perform operations on helix
by User interface.

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Ayola,

This webpage describes the architecture: http://helix.apache.org/Architecture.html

Here are some concepts: http://helix.apache.org/Concepts.html

For the tutorial, I would first do the quick start: http://helix.apache.org/0.6.3-docs/Quickstart.html

and then go through each page of the tutorial: http://helix.apache.org/0.6.3-docs/Tutorial.html

In particular, take a close look at the Helix admin documentation: http://helix.apache.org/0.6.3-docs/tutorial_admin.html

Our sample code is in the recipes module: https://github.com/apache/helix/tree/helix-0.6.x/recipes

documentation for recipes: http://helix.apache.org/0.6.3-docs/index.html

The source for the Helix admin java implementation is here: https://github.com/apache/helix/blob/helix-0.6.x/helix-core/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/manager/zk/ZKHelixAdmin.java

and the javadocs are here: http://helix.apache.org/javadocs/0.6.3/reference/org/apache/helix/HelixAdmin.html

The command line source code is available here: https://github.com/apache/helix/blob/helix-0.6.x/helix-core/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/tools/ClusterSetup.java

The REST API implementation is all available here: https://github.com/apache/helix/tree/helix-0.6.x/helix-admin-webapp/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/webapp

I wouldn't worry about the Helix controller implementation; it is out of scope for the dashboard. Fundamentally, what you want is a viewer that presents a current snapshot of the cluster in terms of Helix concepts. In addition, it should provide some UI elements for admin operations (i.e. the operations exposed by HelixAdmin, ClusterSetup, and the REST API).

Thanks,
Kanak

> [...]
>

> 2. I would like an explanation on the architecture of helix or a diagram
> explaining the Helix Architecture. Also if you can point where the relevant
> code of REST json, JVM api and CLI appears in Helix source code it would be
> much useful. If you can share with me some sample code to try or any
> diagram related it would make my work easy.
>
> Here are some DOC I am referring[1], are those up to date or much better
> tutorial that will be helpful for me to understand helix core and API
> -Helix API (Java API, REST, CLI) scope is there? or grouping and limitation
> over each APIs
> Helix Controller[2] implementation.
>
> [1] http://helix.apache.org/apidocs/reference/packages.html
> [2] http://helix.apache.org/0.6.3-docs/tutorial_controller.html
>
> Could you give me a good introduction to Helix. Also some sample code that
> I can try to get exposed to REST API, CLI and some sample code / tutorial
> to practice Java API & Interface would be much help.
>

> 3. I'm in my final year at University and don't have any other commitments
> and projects going on at the moment. My previous programming experience
> include mainly Microsoft Technologies (Visual Studio / MS Server / C# /
> ASP.NET). Several of those projects included Crystal Reports as A Reporting
> Tool. Thus as a component of HCI I'm familiar with Reporting Tools. Since I
> have not much experience/exposure to open source and industrial exposure of
> java I decide on applying for GSOC with the intention that it will broaden
> my horizons giving me advantage over my colleagues when applying for jobs
> after the exams. Therefore I find it a refreshing new experience to
> interact with the open source community and to contribute to it.
>

> On 30 March 2014 10:25, Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ayola,
>>
>> I'm just checking in. I had a few questions:
>>
>> 1. Could you describe why you picked hawtio and AngularJS as the
>> frameworks for the dashboard? It's fine to select whichever frameworks you
>> think are best; I'm just curious about what led you to decide on these.
>>
>> 2. Are there any Helix concepts that you would like any clarification on?
>> Would it be helpful to chat for a bit on IRC to discuss requirements?
>>
>> 3. What is your time commitment to this project? Will you also be working
>> on other projects this summer?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kanak
>> ________________________________
>>> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 23:23:11 +0530
>>> Subject: Re: GSOC Proposal for the dashboard for Apache Helix
>>> From: ayolajayamaha28@gmail.com
>>> To: kanak.b@hotmail.com
>>> CC: dev@helix.apache.org; g.kishore@gmail.com
>>>
>>> Hi Kanak,
>>>
>>> Thanks. I just send the subscription request for the mailing list.
>>>

>>> On 26 March 2014 23:11, Kanak Biscuitwala
>>> <ka...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ayola,
>>>
>>> Can you subscribe to the dev and user mailing lists for Helix? Your

>>> Kanak

Posted by Ayola Jayamaha <ay...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kanak,

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.