Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Reischenbacher <ma...@gmx.at> on 2012/07/16 23:17:14 UTC

Footnotes order & tables

Hi,

as suggested by existing threads in this list I generate footnote
reference numbers with XSL. See also:

http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/Footnote-question-td7255.html

This works perfectly for normal text, but now I have a new case where
footnotes are inside table cells and the processing sequence of FOP
doesn't match the one of XSL. Internally FOP seems to process table cell
contents by line, going from left to right (across multiple cells). XSL
on the other hand processes the first cell completely and then the next
cell and so on.

The output is that the ordering of the footnote bodies in the footer
isn't the one expected by the user. See also the attached examples (fo +
pdf): "Footnote 3" is second but should be third.

I understand that the processing has to be done like that, especially if
a page break occurs inside the table cell. Footnotes at the bottom of a
table cell would be pushed to the next page, making the resulting
footnote body order ok again. What I would like to do is to (optionally)
modify the processing order in FOP in case a keep condition is defined
for the table row. Has anybody tried to do something similar? Could
anybody of the table/footnote gurus please point me in the right direction?

Btw... Too bad that xsl fo doesn't define an element for a truly
automatic footnote numbering (similar to Antenna House's
<axf:footnote-number/>). Is it part of xsl fo 2.0?

Best regards,
Matthias Reischenbacher

Re: Footnotes order & tables

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

in XSL-FO REC2 Working Draft, I see no change regarding footnotes (see [1]).
AFAIK, there is no plan to implement such extension in FOP, but since
it is open source, everybody can contribute and submit a patch (see
[2]) to add such extension.

That said, there is probably an alternative: modifying directly the
intermediate format (see [3]).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-xslfo20-20120117/#d2e24437
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches
[3] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/intermediate.html